News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

There might be an ulterior motive behind leaving them so 'unfinished': Decals. Massive ones, think those ad decals that totally obscure what's underneath, and sometimes the windows too which always pizzes me off as it's eternal greyness inside.

Being the alpha might also mean it's going to be subjected to a lot of 'roughhousing' and eventually finish painted later.

(Batteries not included, some assembly is required)
IDK some people from BBD said Metrolinx ordered all of them with Grey as the accent colour

If it will take 7 months with a full closure, I can't imagine how long any alternative plan would take. What are the chances Metrolinx just uses its Crown Rights and tells the City to shove it?

If it will take 7 months with a full closure, I can't imagine how long any alternative plan would take. What are the chances Metrolinx just uses its Crown Rights and tells the City to shove it?
What you propose is a terrible solution, absolutely awful. The alternatives are even worse...Surely the City saw this coming? Yonge and Bloor have endured much worse. The Entitled want their transit and eat it too...

Why are they not arriving by rail?
Severe cutbacks...Doug Ford has decried that all steel wheeled transit will have to be converted to rubber on asphalt to fulfill his glorious dream of highways For the People! The rails are being melted down for the new Ferris Wheel for My Friends at Ontario Place.

Severe cutbacks...Doug Ford has decried that all steel wheeled transit will have to be converted to rubber on asphalt to fulfill his glorious dream of highways For the People! The rails are being melted down for the new Ferris Wheel for My Friends at Ontario Place.
Maybe we can get him to learn some French words and he can go to Montreal and build metros there.

Is this hyperbole really necessary or even adds to the discussion whatsoever?

Is this hyperbole really necessary or even adds to the discussion whatsoever?

Ford needs a lot more than hyperbole thrown in his path, but I can’t think of a single thing that his government has done since taking office that has impeded Crosstown. It is full speed ahead. So that hyperbole doesn’t belong in this thread.

What will be interesting will be the position he takes on the upcoming issue at Bathurst/Eglinton. He is all for undeground transit. The price of building underground transit is surface disruption. The impact of not closing the intersection is a hit on cost and schedule. Where does he stand on all that? He has taken the position that subway construction is his bailiwick and not the Ciry’s. Metrolinx reports to the Province. He ought to be front and center on this.

My prediction is much like Wynne did with Davenport, he will be conspicuously absent from the community when it declares its opposition. Any local PC MPPs will be given license to dissent from Cabinet, for this one issue, so they can play to “the people”. But Douggie will be miles away. Can’t take the heat.

- Paul

but I can’t think of a single thing that his government has done since taking office that has impeded Crosstown. It is full speed ahead.
That's because it's one of the largest contracts of its kind in Canada to one consortium that has already been tested by the threat of a Superior Court case and the settlement agreed not only 'solid', but overwhelmingly in the consortium's favour. Not the best reference, but good enough for this string:
Metrolinx reaches settlement with builders of Crosstown LRT | The Star

Don't worry though, Ford will find a way to make it difficult for the City to deal with the imminent problems. It's on his agenda. My initial comment was light -hearted banter. My comment here isn't. Brace yourselves, Ford won't be able to stop himself from making life difficult for any aspect of Toronto's self-betterment. But even Ford knows that he's facing too many legal situations that he's going to lose. Another court battle with Crosslinx will only set the province back further. "Nothing can be saved" will be Ford's epithet.

Addendum: Don't have time to delve on what the settlement actually cost, it was a huge sum, but here's the prelude to later revelations:
The agreement, which was first reported by the Globe and Mail, will see Metrolinx dip into a contingency fund to compensate Crosslinx for what the transit agency describes as “reasonable” claims.

In an interview, Metrolinx president and CEO Phil Verster would not reveal how much was in the fund, but said about half of it would be used. He argued that because the contingency fund was built into the original project budget, the LRT costs have not increased as a result of the settlement.
link above.

That's pretty fanciful Phil...

Last edited:
That's pretty fanciful Phil...

Verster has no reasonable politically viable option but to argue publicly that costs have not risen - but - there is always the risk that he and his organization get too used to this argument and start drinking it as Koolaid.

In my work experience, one major thing that has differentiated good project leaders from bad ones is how they handled contingency. Get in the habit of doling it out too soon, or too willingly, your project will get lax and it will start slipping through your fingers. #Prestocard As a result, the best project heads tend to be completely Stalinist in their management style....hold the contingency centrally and you don't want to ask for it very often, if at all.

Some contingency always gets spent - that's what it is there for, and stuff happens. Verster is probably truthful if he says that the project is still within its contingency. He will eventually get audited on that.

- Paul

Back