News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

The footage used in the video is quite old, dating back to September or so. They had done a reasonable amount of work on the surface sections of the line, and since then they have started putting the final curbs along much of it. They've even dug the trench where the ROW will be built between Pharmacy and Victoria Park.

Dan

That ROW will be intresting, maybe DoFo will use it as an example of why he hates streetcars and LRTs ??

While tracks and catenary at the Mt. Dennis yard is mostly complete, likely the laying of the tracks inside the tunnels will be done by the end of this year (2019), depending on the station conditions. The overhead catenary in the tunnels would follow by in 2020. That would be followed by testing until the opening in 2021. The finishing at the stations would take forever, as any home-buyer knows.

It's not just surface work, some stations haven't seemingly started excavation in areas and concrete pours haven't commenced at many stations.

This caught my eye also. I'm sure there is still time for that work to happen, but we must be approaching the date where all the station excavations have to be complete.

The really exciting date will be when the tunnel roof is complete throughout, and some of those excavations start getting filled in, so life can return to normal at street level.

I wondered about the status of Cedarvale and Yonge-Eglinton, especially - as these cross the existing Line 1 structure. Any unforeseens or oop's in those locations would be especially painful. And those excavations are not that far along.

- Paul

From October 31, 2018, at this link.

...Florin Merauta, chief of railway systems for Metrolinx, said it is a major undertaking involving 47 kilometres of track that will take about three years to complete...

...Eglinton Crosstown crews first started laying track on the $5.3 billion dollar project in August 2017. They went underground with their track work later that year....

...The 19-kilometre corridor will include a 10-kilometre underground portion, between Keele Street and Laird Drive...

...By December 2018, crews are expected to reach the milestone of 10 kilometres of underground track installed. Track will need to be doubled along the entire 19-kilometre corridor to allow for trains to run in both directions....

...By spring 2019, crews will face a new challenge when special track work begins.

Merauta says that’s when crews will move from their straight-line work to installing switches and crossover pieces.

...By late 2020, all 47 kilometres of track is scheduled to be installed and test trains will begin running the route.

The Eglinton Crosstown is scheduled to open in 2021.

From October 31, 2018, at this link.
Can somebody explain why it would take 2 years to install less than 50km of track? Thats an avg of under 70m/day. Seems slow given that they have specialized machinery and no ties to worry about in the underground section

This caught my eye also. I'm sure there is still time for that work to happen, but we must be approaching the date where all the station excavations have to be complete.

The really exciting date will be when the tunnel roof is complete throughout, and some of those excavations start getting filled in, so life can return to normal at street level.

I wondered about the status of Cedarvale and Yonge-Eglinton, especially - as these cross the existing Line 1 structure. Any unforeseens or oop's in those locations would be especially painful. And those excavations are not that far along.

- Paul

The work on the underground stations has by-and-large been progressing from west to east. So you have stations such as Keelesdale and Fairbank where they have completed several of the massive pours required for the station boxes and roofs, and others such as Mt Pleasant where they have barely stated excavating.

And while progress has been hard to track via things such as their videos or their various social media feeds, if you watch their construction notices you'll find that it seems as if every week or two there is another planned large pour that will require temporary lane closures. It seems that other than passing by the sites weekly or so, that may be the easiest way to keep tabs on the project - after all, the notices need to be posted in real-time, not when it is convenient to do so to aggregate the most "likes".

As for Cedarvale and Eglinton-Yonge, it looks like like after much engineering work and discussion, they only found an amenable solution to proceeding with the work late last summer or early fall. http://www.metrolinx.com/en/docs/pd...022_BoardMtg_Eglinton_LRT_Construction_EN.pdf. Since then, excavation around the station box has been proceeding reasonably quickly.

Can somebody explain why it would take 2 years to install less than 50km of track? Thats an avg of under 70m/day. Seems slow given that they have specialized machinery and no ties to worry about in the underground section

Because they need to dig out the stations still - or even just finish the tunnel in a bunch of places. There's no point in laying track if it is just going to be torn up again when they excavate the station box.

Dan

They could also end up using the laid tracks to deliver or remove materials on flatbed cars needed to "finish" the stations, as they progress west to east. However, without electrical overhead power on, they have to limit the use of diesel engines underground (except for pest control).

Surface work is ultimately just a road project; I'm not seeing anything concerning in the timeline yet...
It is 2019. There are two years of construction left according to the experience in this room and Metrolinx too.

The ION system in Waterloo has been running tests for a year to ensure vehicles clear posts, gates go down and signals work. A year in and no date for revenue service.

What does the TTC know that Waterloo region does not because I see no time for testing here.

Even the Spadina extension ran non-revenue service - if I recall for 3 months - September to December before revenue service.

Let’s check this.

Rocket train - known vehicle. Flexity - new vehicle.
Controlled underground ROW with no competing traffic - no mixed opaeration vs underground and above ground Agni h the TTC has no experience with.

I would love to see this on time, but someone says there is barely a hole in the ground at Mount Pleasant let alone a station. Add in the time to test and I don’t understand how this can be done.

It is 2019. There are two years of construction left according to the experience in this room and Metrolinx too...

Rocket train - known vehicle. Flexity - new vehicle.
Controlled underground ROW with no competing traffic - no mixed opaeration vs underground and above ground Agni h the TTC has no experience with.

The Flexity Freedom would not be a "new" by today nor by opening day, since Waterloo ION would have been using 14 of them.

The TTC is already using ATO on the Line 1 extension since December, 2017. As for mixed operation, what do you call the section between Queens Quay Station and Union Station, if not "underground"; and the part west of Queens Quay Station, if not "above ground"?

The Flexity Freedom would not be a "new" by today nor by opening day, since Waterloo ION would have been using 14 of them.

The TTC is already using ATO on the Line 1 extension since December, 2017. As for mixed operation, what do you call the section between Queens Quay Station and Union Station, if not "underground"; and the part west of Queens Quay Station, if not "above ground"?

The Union streetcar tunnel is basically a tunnel. Back on topic, I didn't know Eglinton would have ATO, how come I didn't find out till now ?

The freedom is new in a sense that there are different components that the TTC needs to familiarize themselves with. They're very similar to the outlooks, but all subtle differences must be accounted for.

The difference with the crosstown and the Queens Quay tunnel is the fact that there is a signaling system on the crosstown while there are none on the 509/510. There's also the need to test the operation of an entirely new line and new signal priority equipment at intersections. There is a lot more to do.

The freedom is new in a sense that there are different components that the TTC needs to familiarize themselves with. They're very similar to the outlooks, but all subtle differences must be accounted for.

The difference with the crosstown and the Queens Quay tunnel is the fact that there is a signaling system on the crosstown while there are none on the 509/510. There's also the need to test the operation of an entirely new line and new signal priority equipment at intersections. There is a lot more to do.

@W. K. Lis does not realize that the 509/510 have no signalling system, so that does not connect in anyway with the Crosstown

@W. K. Lis does not realize that the 509/510 have no signalling system, so that does not connect in anyway with the Crosstown
I think one would have to deliberately choose to misinterpret what he said about 509/510 running both underground and overground to think that it meant that Bay is connected to Line 5!

Last edited:

Back