News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

While the current design is currently an improvement, I'm not convinced designing the interchange with a single centre platform on each lines is optimum. I know that space along Yonge is at a premium, but I'm surprised they can't find a way to stagger the platforms, so that (for example) one platform is entirely north of Eglinton and the other entirely south. Though maybe that would be equally as bad for passenger flow - though wouldn't result in the same platform crowding.

It's probably unnecessary considering these type of solutions isn't required where is far higher projected riderships. Far better to focus on implementing the Island platform with more generous spaces and circulation elements.

AoD

Just look at all the asphalt deserts around the Don Mills-Eglinton stations site, being used a parking lots at present.
View attachment 55201

Especially, the southeast corner used by the Science Centre provides plenty of space. A diagonal alignment of the Eglinton Crosstown LRT, with provision for any kind of Don Mills/DRL/whatever line using extreme measurements for any kind of equipment to could use that line, is better now. Afterwards, infill buildings or expansions will make putting a transfer station will be more difficult.

It's not that much space - considering you have to take into account the amount of curvature you'd have to deal with for the approach tunnels.

AoD

Last edited:
They should design the interchange stations at Don Mills-Eglinton NOW to better handle the transferring of passengers than what they do now.

InterchangeStation.png

Seems way overbuilt for the traffic expected.

The most I'd do here is rough in a Spanish solution (or at least make provisions for it), like we've done with Sheppard-Yonge.

A light rail, like the Eglington Crosstown, uses a tighter curve than heavy rail. So the Eglington can wander off the straight direction more than a possible subway along Don Mills, if that is the technology they go with.

It's probably unnecessary considering these type of solutions isn't required where is far higher projected riderships. Far better to focus on implementing the Island platform with more generous spaces and circulation elements.
It's a pretty standard practice to turn lines so that they are parallel when two lines that are planned simultaneously intersect. As Toronto did for both the St. George and Bay intersection stations; though they'd have worked better if they'd have stacked the tunnels, they still work far better than simple crosses such as Eglinton-Bloor

It's a pretty standard practice to turn lines so that they are parallel when two lines that are planned simultaneously intersect. As Toronto did for both the St. George and Bay intersection stations; though they'd have worked better if they'd have stacked the tunnels, they still work far better than simple crosses such as Eglinton-Bloor

It is not rare, but it certainly not a default practice anywhere either given the amount of T-intersections between subways lines lying around. Does it make sense to go through the trouble of rerouting lines in this instance? I doubt it.

And lest I remind anyone that the tight curves along Spadina for the sake of this arrangement created a rather nasty curve and probably slowed the line down?

AoD

Currently, DRL is not funded. Even when it (hopefully) gets funding, there is no guarantee that Phase I goes all the way to Eglinton; it might be downtown to Danforth only, with everything north of Danforth left for Phase II.

In this situation, it is hard to justify costly modifications of the Eglinton line design to acommodate the DRL interchange.

Reasonable consideration should be given to that future interchange, but only to the extent that it costs nothing or the cost is trivial.

Currently, DRL is not funded. Even when it (hopefully) gets funding, there is no guarantee that Phase I goes all the way to Eglinton; it might be downtown to Danforth only, with everything north of Danforth left for Phase II.
One of the reasons there won't be any attempt to do anything than a regular crossing on a 90-degree angle.

In this situation, it is hard to justify costly modifications of the Eglinton line design to acommodate the DRL interchange.
We're well beyond that; they've already tendered and awarded it. Let's hope they simply protected a future crossing without massive modifications.

Are the Vitrolite tiles in Eglinton the original tiles from 1954, or have they been replaced since then?
Most of the Vitrolite tiles are the originals. However, over time cracked, broken tiles have been replaced with metal panels of a mismatched colour. Most people describe them as being a grey in colour, but I think they are a rather subtle shade of lavender.

Didn't Metrolinx at one point mention something about making provisions for a Don Mills subway?
Not at the community meetings I attended. If anything they tried to avoid mentioning a DRL hitting Eglinton, which is ironic since they later came out in support of a DRL up to Sheppard

Can we take the needless prejudicial statements out of the discussion? Particularly those not based in fact. More km of subway extensions were approved under Miller than any mayor since Crombie, and also started the studies for the DRL - which always envisioned the possibility of Don Mills being subway as far north as Eglinton.
Which is all well and good if we ignore the fact that David Miller had little interest in the Spadina extension or the DRL.

So to answer your question, no, we can't take needless, prejudicial statements out of the discussion.

From the existing EA report, you are correct. They'll need a new EA, or an update to the EA, to build any kind of additional station box for any kind of future DRL/Don Mills whatever.
View attachment 55193
The existing EA for Eglinton Crosstown shows a "Don Mills LRT" on the surface. Haven't seen any update. Therefore, if the existing plans say...

At the The Crosstown website it is unequivocal that the Don Mills station is underground. http://www.thecrosstown.ca/the-project/stations-and-stops/don-mills-station. While an EA may be needed, the plans are to put the station underground. The justification is there is far too much traffic at the intersection of Don Mills and Eglinton.

Not at the community meetings I attended. If anything they tried to avoid mentioning a DRL hitting Eglinton, which is ironic since they later came out in support of a DRL up to Sheppard

Metrolinx has left the door wide open for non-DRL ideas like a >$1bn Yonge-Bloor rebuild, or their denuded tram-train proposal (<-link leads to YRNS pdf). Both of these are progressing to full evaluation. And they still haven't thrown support behind the City/TTC criteria of what a RL should do (e.g relieve the surface network, support shoulder area development). So I think it's safe to say they don't fully support the DRL at this point.

Last edited:
Metrolinx has left the door wide open for non-DRL ideas like a >$1bn Yonge-Bloor rebuild, or their denuded tram-train proposal (<-link leads to YRNS pdf). Both of these are progressing to full evaluation. And they still haven't thrown support behind the City/TTC criteria of what a RL should do (e.g relieve the surface network, support shoulder area development). So I think it's safe to say they don't fully support the DRL at this point.

Absolutely true. ML never explicitly came out in support of any option. The DTRES report was merely highly favourable of the DRL LONG.

At the The Crosstown website it is unequivocal that the Don Mills station is underground. http://www.thecrosstown.ca/the-project/stations-and-stops/don-mills-station. While an EA may be needed, the plans are to put the station underground. The justification is there is far too much traffic at the intersection of Don Mills and Eglinton.

The Don Mills Station for the Eglinton Crosstown LRT will be underground. However, the EA for the Eglinton Crosstown LRT does shows the Don Mills LRT to be on the surface. People are assuming that the the DRL will be underground most of the way. They are also assuming that the DRL will be replacing the plans for the Don Mills LRT, but as what? We should assume that the DRL/Don Mills will be underground, but we need to have an EA for the Don Mills-Eglinton Stations to reflect that.

Progress.

Sept 8

Eglinton1.png

Today. Passing Chiltern Hill.

Eglinton2.png

Nothing on the east end yet.

Eglinton3.png

Attachments

• Eglinton1.png
    Eglinton1.png
    442.8 KB · Views: 602
  • Eglinton2.png