News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Council never voted to cancel Transit City.

i never said they did. I'm just saying they (the province) were going along with whatever happened and aligned themselves with whatever the city/mayor/city and mayor chose to do. Why? Because it's a city project.

It's not their job to dictate what happens within the city.

i never said they did. I'm just saying they (the province) were going along with whatever happened and aligned themselves with whatever the city/mayor/city and mayor chose to do. Why? Because it's a city project.

It's not their job to dictate what happens within the city.
Subway Champion . . cough . . cough.

What an epic fail. The line should of been treated as a regional corridor. There no reason why they couldn't have made the line light metro (grade-separated) from malvern to Mississauga with a branch servicing the airport, but I guess that would have made too much sense. From a broader perspective its really frustrating knowing that metrolinx regional transportation plan has no solid solution of getting riders across the GTA with out going downtown. REX and Smart Track would require rider to travel through Union to go to destination beyond and the proposed crosstown LRT in its current proposal would be too slow to justify getting on a train to the airport. What about the rider that live in Malvern but need to get to Mississauga or the airport. Are we really going to tell them to go there via Union or take a a 1 hr plus LRT ride......come on.

What an epic fail. The line should of been treated as a regional corridor. There no reason why they couldn't have made the line light metro (grade-separated) from malvern to Mississauga with a branch servicing the airport, but I guess that would have made too much sense. From a broader perspective its really frustrating knowing that metrolinx regional transportation plan has no solid solution of getting riders across the GTA with out going downtown. REX and Smart Track would require rider to travel through Union to go to destination beyond and the proposed crosstown LRT in its current proposal would be too slow to justify getting on a train to the airport. What about the rider that live in Malvern but need to get to Mississauga or the airport. Are we really going to tell them to go there via Union or take a a 1 hr plus LRT ride......come on.
This is why a “401 Transitway” should exist, whether it be like the Mississauga Transitway, or just bus bypass lanes like on the 403 between the Transitway sections, it would be used by hundreads (thousands?) of buses a day. Forget about the 407 Transitway as it is too out of the way and doesn’t have many destinations in the corridor compared to the 401.

If there's any corridor in Toronto that's deserving of full and complete grade-separated rapid transit from end to end, start to finish, it's Eglinton. The Eglinton segment of the Mississauga Transitway is the standard bearer of what should be emulated and replicated throughout the Etobicoke and Scarborough segments of the Crosstown Line. Anything less is just limiting the true potential of the Crosstown for generations to come.
To me what's most important is that the trains operate completely independently of car traffic. This can be done with LRT lines that are mostly at grade, like in Edmonton for example.

If they can't dig under Martin Grove and Eglinton easily cause of the Enbridge gasline, why don't they consider building even taller hydro towers that can allow the station to be elevated. Problem solved. Can't let the Hydro companies preventing structures under hydro corridors anymore if this city is going to grow.

If they can't dig under Martin Grove and Eglinton easily cause of the Enbridge gasline, why don't they consider building even taller hydro towers that can allow the station to be elevated. Problem solved. Can't let the Hydro companies preventing structures under hydro corridors anymore if this city is going to grow.
There are many ways to proceed (Lower Eglinton, raise the hydro lines, put some type of insulator between LRT power and hydro lines, use track level rail to have greater separation between transit power and hydro lines, duck the LRT under the intersection), but the problem is that there is likely a large group in City Planning that thinks at-grade median operation is better than grade-separated. It's not a question of what is technically achievable, or what the cost - they want to create a future Queen Street and not a rapid transit corridor.

Last edited:
They buried the hydro lines east of the Humber River when they constructed the Gardiner Expressway. They can bury the hydro lines in the Kipling & Eglinton intersection.
sunnyside-dredging-1920-wiki-commons.jpg

The bridge is at the now demolished Sunnyside railway station at Roncesvalles and Lake Shore.

Filled it out. Suggested expropriation of the townhouses and using the Richview Corridor for elevated, for all the good that suggestion is.

This would never fly. Those townhouses were just built in the past two or three years. It's a political non-starter

This would never fly. Those townhouses were just built in the past two or three years. It's a political non-starter
Not everyone votes but I'm confident millionaire home owners who have their homes taken away shortly after moving in will be motivated to get to the polls. You are correct that this is a non starter similar to elevated subway in Scarborough.

Back