News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

Seriously fringe interest groups and advocates like these are really starting to get annoying.

While this complaint is annoying, platform doors are a reasonable cost in new stations and sometimes even cheaper than without because you can move the station supports to the edges. Spadina extension costs actually went up when platform doors were removed from the design as a result of the signalling system not being ready in time.

They have a large number of side benefits to regular people and general efficiency of the system.

Eglinton underground stations probably should have been designed to include them.

Last edited:
Seriously fringe interest groups and advocates like these are really starting to get annoying.
Why does the majority have to bend over to just a fraction? The only thing that results from these people are delays and cost increases. While some of their points may be valid, in general they really should just suck it up. The only real way to prevent accidents for the impaired is to have platform screen doors not redesign stations at the cost of millions.

DSC_0186.jpg

2006-04-23_2953_1e_porte_paliere_cnim_st-lazare_quai_chatillon_p.jpeg

Unfortunately, those people who do not use public transit would consider such doors as "gravy", and not a safety feature.

York Mills and College Stations are being cited as examples why island platforms are not accessible.
You are aware that York Mills has an island platform?

Off the top of my TTC hasn't routinely designed any side platform stations for subway extensions for 50 years. The last extension that used side platforms everywhere was the first BD extension in 1968. Dupont (and the additional Spadina station platforms are the exception to that in 1978). Yonge-Sheppard station on the Sheppard line is an overdesigned 3-platform station. The only other one I can think of is North York Centre which was constructed many years after the line opened. (I'm sure I've missed one that someone will happily point out).

So I don't see that anyone would be surprised by this!

Off the top of my TTC hasn't routinely designed any side platform stations for subway extensions for 50 years. The last extension that used side platforms everywhere was the first BD extension in 1968. Dupont (and the additional Spadina station platforms are the exception to that in 1978). Yonge-Sheppard station on the Sheppard line is an overdesigned 3-platform station. The only other one I can think of is North York Centre which was constructed many years after the line opened. (I'm sure I've missed one that someone will happily point out).

The subway design manual doesn't specify one design over another, but rather recommends "site specific solutions" depending on the construction methods used and available. For instance, if the line and running tunnels are built as cut-and-cover in a built-up area, than the stations will likely be built as side platforms because it will save excavation and property purchase on either side of the station box where the tracks will have to flare out. All terminals are to be built with centre platforms to make it easier for people to get to the train without having to guess which side it will leave from. And bored tunnels will almost always require centre platform stations because of the separation necessary between the tunnels.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Planned Eglinton LRT platforms ‘dangerous and inaccessible,’ says blind human rights lawyer

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/201...ccessible_says_blind_human_rights_lawyer.html

all frivolous.
So all the subway stations with central platforms in the world have a human rights problem now? Cities don't build subway stations catering to the needs of 0.1% of the population who happen to be blind regardless of cost and need. What's next, aircraft makers being sued for designing seats not big enough for those who weigh 300 pounds?

not to sound callous, but it is unrealistic to expect blind people to be able to move completely free and safe in a large city.

Last edited:
all frivolous.
So all the subway stations with central platforms in the world have a human rights problem now? Cities don't build subway stations catering to the needs of 0.1% of the population who happen to be blind regardless of cost and need. What's next, aircraft makers being sued for designing seats not big enough for those who weigh 300 pounds?

not to sound callous, but it is unrealistic to expect blind people to be able to move completely free and safe in a large city.
While I don't think changing the Eglinton design at this stage is the solution, your comments sound very prejudiced. Yes, I do expect blind people to be able to move freely and safely in a large city. And why not - they've been do so in large cities for decades!

That's what the article says.

While I don't see any problem with people expressing concerns - I don't see why it's happening at this stage now. This decision was made and publicized years ago. These comments should have been made during the planning and assessment phase last decade.

How can a centre platform be a concern, but a platform in the middle of the street is not.

While I don't think changing the Eglinton design at this stage is the solution, your comments sound very prejudiced. Yes, I do expect blind people to be able to move freely and safely in a large city. And why not - they've been do so in large cities for decades!

I doubt it and can't imagine how can that be done.
For example, how do they know if the traffic lights are green or red? When crossing University Ave for example, how do they know the lights have already changed? How do they go to the smaller streets and find the exact house and entrance of buildings?
Yes, we do see blind people on the streets from time to time, but chances are, most won't walk on the street alone without any assistance. The city simply has too much stuff and too many risks and it is not realistic to be able to move freely without seeing anything.

Don't take my word, try crossing three streets with your eyes shut, between two points you have walked 5000 times.

What do you mean? It's been done for decades.

For example, how do they know if the traffic lights are green or red? When crossing University Ave for example, how do they know the lights have already changed?
Are you trolling? This seems very ignorant. How did the blind kids cope when you were in school? Did you ever see any run over crossing the street?

Don't take my word, try crossing three streets with your eyes shut, between two points you have walked 5000 times.
I can't believe you'd write something so offensive and prejudiced! This is not okay.

For example, how do they know if the traffic lights are green or red?

Really? You have never wondered what the sound cues are meant to do? As a sighted person I have never had to bother learning them (thankfully) but my understanding is that they are universal signals to the sightless that lights are changing.

I can't believe you'd write something so offensive and prejudiced! This is not okay.

no need to be so dramatic.
I just have a hard time imagine a blind man's life in a big city without assistance. Most information we get from this world is visual, and without being able to see I probably won't be able to get to the elevation, not to mention press the right button and fumble my way back home.

no need to be so dramatic.
I just have a hard time imagine a blind man's life in a big city without assistance. Most information we get from this world is visual, and without being able to see I probably won't be able to get to the elevation, not to mention press the right button and fumble my way back home.
But this is stuff you see all the time in a city all of our lives. You sound like you just arrived on a bus from the barrens or something.

Back