It will extend south from east of where the previous one was.

From the looks of the renderings it looks like it will be straighter then the original one from the Eaton Centre with a wider opening to it. Plus there isn't relly mush room on the third floor to put something in there as it has the entrance to the office tower right beside it.

The loop-sidedness of the bridge structure, as shown in some of the photos on the previous page, is kind of interesting.

DSC07351_zpstzvzzwvw.jpg

DSC07354_zpsrfvwqfdw.jpg

DSC07355_zpsyg6vi2i9.jpg

DSC07356_zpsevrk8jrg.jpg

As the bridge is having to twist from one shape at one end into another shape at the other, and not do it in a straight line, we're getting something with far more interesting geometries than I was expecting, even having seen the renderings.

As it's not going to be a simple mirror-image when done, I'm willing to bet that there will be fewer people happy with the finished bridge, ("we gave up that vista for this?"), but I'm getting more interested. I think we have something a little more out-of-the-ordinary coming, a not-to-be-repeated one-off, and that increases my anticipation level. Here's hoping the end product really is special and is worth losing the temporarily opened-up vista on Queen.

IMG_5205.JPG
IMG_5204.JPG
IMG_5206.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_5205.JPG
    IMG_5205.JPG
    249.2 KB · Views: 306
  • IMG_5204.JPG
    IMG_5204.JPG
    367.5 KB · Views: 270
  • IMG_5206.JPG
    IMG_5206.JPG
    477.5 KB · Views: 299
It would be interesting if they have it all assembled and then find out it didn't fit properly.
I am sure they would have measured the proposed length of the bridge and manufactured it to specifications. Of course, if what you say is true, they would have to return to square one.
Wow this seems like it would be complete before year end
At this rate, you may be correct. They seem to be moving like gangbusters so that the public can use a pedestrian bridge again.

At this rate, you may be correct. They seem to be moving like gangbusters so that the public can use a pedestrian bridge again.
I believe the plan is to have it done by November although from how the The Eaton Centre posted it on their facebook page you would think it's weekend project.

I am sure they would have measured the proposed length of the bridge and manufactured it to specifications. Of course, if what you say is true, they would have to return to square one.
Yes I'm sure they did I was only joking as I'm not the biggest fan of the new bridge but it does actually look pretty good so far.

Thy have to finish it in the early Fall at the latest. First because they they won't want to have the mall being a construction zone through their profitable holiday quarter and second, because the 501 Streetcar will only be shut down until then.

Besides, the new bridge only needs to be assembled and theyve already started it. That won't take long. The new bridge will be in place quickly.

Besides, the new bridge only needs to be assembled and theyve already started it. That won't take long. The new bridge will be in place quickly.
I wonder how much of it they will built before they put it in place as from a recent post it seems like they will put it onto temporary supports well they finish it in place and then remove them. I would think they will probably have most of the skeleton in place when they move it aside from the two ends much like how they cut up the needs of the old bridge first before removing it.

Our latest update:
It has been a busy month of work at Cadillac Fairview's Toronto Eaton Centre, as crews have been simultaneously demolishing and constructing a pair of pedestrian bridges connecting two parts of the busy shopping centre. The original Zeidler Partnership Architects-designed pedestrian bridge spanning Queen Street East was taken down last weekend on the mall's south side, while the assembly of a replacement bridge commenced on a closed stretch of James Street between the Eaton Centre and Old City Hall.

Back