Is there a Druxy's there? There was one in the south food court which would make deli sandwiches to order
Also, is it only the food court in that lower level or is there other stores?

Is there a Druxy's there? There was one in the south food court which would make deli sandwiches to order
Also, is it only the food court in that lower level or is there other stores?

Sept 03
Nope, it gone as well Harvey's, Phil stake, Arby's, Fish and Chips, and a fair number of the original ones at both ends. Most have been replace by new ones.

I guess the rent was too high with Eaton Centre picking and choosing who they wanted there.
6111649658_b58329bfc1_b.jpg

6111650068_e6779a751d_b.jpg

6111106479_7ed4d4baf1_b.jpg

6111652350_0fd3683d54_b.jpg

I just had lunch there... a delicious sesame tempeh sandwich and a carrot ginger juice from Urban Herbivore. The melamine dishes are ok, though the trays are a bit too slippery. Lots of seating areas to choose from, and you don't get blasted by the noise as in the Bay Adelaide Centre food court.

In an earlier post I complained about the excessive noise at the BAC food court. All hard surfaces and nothing to absorb the sound, it's a good study in how not to design a food court.

Just SportCheck, which is kind of a waste of good space that could see more food options.

And as such, it really marks a wholesale transference of the south food court configuration to the north--complete w/SC across the way...

I visited the food court on Friday and although I love the look I do not know how often I'll be eating here.

I found it odd that 3 places sell poutine (NYFries, Big Smoke Burger and even the Indian place). Generally speaking here the food is very expensive. The average seemed to be around $9 for any kind of set meal. Heck even the Chinese food is fairly expensive.

Granted this is a tourist area, I work at Yonge / Dundas and there is not a whole lot of food around that I consider cheap and to be of good quality.

At least subway prices are the same.

A sandwich and carrot juice at Urban Herbivore as well as a plate of black bean chicken with steamed rice and iced tea at Szechuan Express were about $12. This is unavoidable considering the rents.

The only thing I miss is Sweet Rosies, which was by the escalators before the reno. I was there every morning for breakfast and the lady that ran it was great. It's too bad they didn't allow them to renew the lease, as it was the only reason I went to that food court in the first place, and there was a line every morning.

The only thing I miss is Sweet Rosies, which was by the escalators before the reno. I was there every morning for breakfast and the lady that ran it was great. It's too bad they didn't allow them to renew the lease, as it was the only reason I went to that food court in the first place, and there was a line every morning.

Aroma, at the other end, serves breakfast sandwiches and other items. It is an Israeli chain, which might explain the absence of ham and bacon :). Excellent espresso. Thankfully there is no Starbucks (surprising as there are *only* 4 others in the mall).

In an earlier post I complained about the excessive noise at the BAC food court. All hard surfaces and nothing to absorb the sound, it's a good study in how not to design a food court.

Good point, most (all?) food courts are very noisy which should be addressed through acoustic tiles on ceilings or something. I've noticed this subliminally forever but never quite put my finger on it until you mentioned it. Perhaps it encourages people to eat and move on quickly to clear tables faster.

Aroma, at the other end, serves breakfast sandwiches and other items. It is an Israeli chain, which might explain the absence of ham and bacon :). Excellent espresso. Thankfully there is no Starbucks (surprising as there are *only* 4 others in the mall).

Sweet Rosie's was more of a family run business, and the ladies were always willing to accommodate you by cooking up anything you wanted, provided they had what was needed. They were also good with the bill when you were short change, or their debit machines weren't working. Something you won't be getting from a place like Aroma.

Here's a clip from the 1970s where Toronto's great pianist Glenn Gould gives a tour of the city. Towards the end are some great shots of the EC when it was new. The restaurant where Gould is sitting at the end was on the mezzanine level of the north entrance. The clip gives just a hint of the extent to which the EC has changed. The whole program is available on YouTube and is a great picture of 1970s Toronto. Gould's commentary is insightful and funny. [video]http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_uri=%2F&gl=CA#/watch?v=aI-oPQ6m0Vs[/video]

Here's a clip from the 1970s where Toronto's great pianist Glenn Gould gives a tour of the city. Towards the end are some great shots of the EC when it was new. The restaurant where Gould is sitting at the end was on the mezzanine level of the north entrance. The clip gives just a hint of the extent to which the EC has changed. The whole program is available on YouTube and is a great picture of 1970s Toronto. Gould's commentary is insightful and funny. [video]http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_uri=%2F&gl=CA#/watch?v=aI-oPQ6m0Vs[/video]

Bad link, can you edit and re-link?

Bad link, can you edit and re-link?

That's all I can do. I'm trying to do this on an iPad, which is all I've got. One thing the iPad is definitely not good for is sharing things. YouTube is an app on the iPad and said app doesn't want you to share things. Going thru YouTube on the web gives me a URL to copy & paste, but it's apparently formatted in a special "iPad" way and doesn't work with this site. The link works for me but that's probably cause I'm using the iPad. Which sucks because I really want to share the link. Maybe someone else can assist?

Back