News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

I wonder if they can get rid of the parking garage fronting Yonge and actually replace it with what, maybe 4 more floors of additional retail? Parking can't possibly be worth more in a mall that is oversubscribed. That, or the unlikely possiblity of extending the atrium through Sears and subdividing that space.

AoD

Does anyone actually use that parking lot for going to the mall? I can understand maybe some office workers but I who would drive downtown to shop at the Eaton Centre?

I drive to the Eaton Centre to shop with my family.
I do not understand the reason behind the comment.
Lets get rid of all the cars driving into the city and see how long the businesses survive.

I live just north of Carlton and I've used those parking lots. Sometimes it's just easier to drive down and load up the car than it is to try to walk home pushing a dolly (which I've also done; never doing that with a 46" television again tho)

The Eaton Centre is connected to Queen and Dundas subway stations. There's no reason TEC needs any parking at all in my opinion. It's a shopping mall not a residence.

The amount of people the subway moves downtown is staggering. That kind of capacity is what makes downtown work. I've only used that parking lot once in recent years, but it's an interesting experience. The top section of the garage allows for views on Yonge, and the stairs connecting with the mall allow for fantastic views of the length of the mall from four floors up. It was a good design, though admittedly few ever take in those vistas.

Remember, it's a shopping mall; clothes, shoes, and watches aren't a challenge to carry home at all on public transit.

Does anyone actually use that parking lot for going to the mall? I can understand maybe some office workers but I who would drive downtown to shop at the Eaton Centre?
I've used it once, and I've been going to the Eaton Centre since it was built (yeah, yeah, I'm a dinosaur). I've even bought luggage at the mall and rolled it home on the subway (not in rush hour of course!)

Some people from suburbia DO in fact shop at the Eaton Centre, and can't get there easily via public transit and must drive. It only makes sense for the mall to have it's own parking.

Anecdotal stories about taking stuff home on the subway or never having driven to the Eaton Centre aside, I agree that the Eaton Centre is probably far less reliant on automobile traffic than any other major mall in the GTA. Having said that, I used to work in one of the towers at the Eaton Centre, and that lot was often packed - even level 5. Obviously, it serves two of the three office towers (I presume that the workers at 1 Dundas who commute by car use the Dundas parkade), and I suspect that it would hard for CF to lease that office space without any parking. The lot is even busy evenings and weekends - lots of shoppers do appear to drive to the mall. You also see a lot of people parking there for church on Sundays (St. Michael's, Metropolitan United, Holy Trinity), as well in the evening for shows at the Canon, Massey Hall and the Elgin Winter Garden. If it was more lucrative to replace the parkade with retail or office space, it presumably would have been done by now. I suspect that the lot is a cash cow.

They removed a parking garage to build the Roger Business School. This parking was added back in when they built the Rogers Business School complex. Obviously parking is important to Cadillac Fairview or they wouldn't have replaced it.

Parking garage is still needed not just for the people in the burbs, i know a few people that live downtown with fancy cars that wouldn't be caught dead on public transit. I have never used the parking garage at Eaton Centre either

Parking is probably important to the 2 office towers also and office users within the upper floors of TEC.

Every time I use the lot (which is every single time I go there even though I live on a subway line) its pretty full

Some people from suburbia DO in fact shop at the Eaton Centre, and can't get there easily via public transit and must drive. It only makes sense for the mall to have it's own parking.

Of course parking is needed at the mall, but isn't the Eaton Centre a fairly easy place to get by transit even if you live in the suburbs? Well I guess except for the length of the commute which can be quite long...

I'm from the 905 and I usually drive downtown 2-3 times a year with the sole purpose of going to the Eaton Centre. I always park in the Bay Parkade, as I find it easier to get in and out of rather than that on the Yonge side of things. Parking is definitely handy there although there certainly are cheaper places in the vicinity to park.

I could walk to Barrie faster then taking three buses and two subways to get to TEC from Markham. Driving takes me 30 mins tops on an avg Saturday afternoon with medium traffic on the DVP.

Back