Even if you just left the name as "Islington" for line 2 and "Islington" for line 5, I think people are smart enough to figure out which one it is.

Every bus route refers to the stops by the street name, not the neighbourhood, and people are not confused by this, it's logical and intuitive.

Naming the stops after neighbourhoods that no one has ever heard of doesn't make it car-centric, I cannot even imagine where that logic comes from.
Folks, why does this have to re-explained? The reason they don't want duplicate names of stations is for emergency services. In an emergency, you want to make sure that emergency services arrive at the right place, and any sort of duplication could cause needless deaths.

Is this a real concern, or is this some worst case scenario catastrophizing? I expect a 911 dispatcher who's job it is to respond to emergencies and quickly route the appropriate authorities to be sufficiently competent to distinguish between "Dundas Station" and "Dundas West Station" and give appropriate directions. If they're not, they should be immediately fired. These are not examples of duplicate names, they just share part of the name, like how renaming New Toronto Street in Etobicoke because it shares part of its name with Toronto Street near Yonge and King would be inappropriate, but doing something to eliminate the two Bloor and Dundas intersections would be appropriate.

Is this a real concern, or is this some worst case scenario catastrophizing? I expect a 911 dispatcher who's job it is to respond to emergencies and quickly route the appropriate authorities to be sufficiently competent to distinguish between "Dundas Station" and "Dundas West Station" and give appropriate directions. If they're not, they should be immediately fired.
I'm not sure why one wouldn't assume that the information that the caller to 911 would be the weak link - especially in a panicked emergency.

The caller to 911 wouldn't know the name of the station they are currently at? It seems far more likely that someone who doesn't know the city would confuse "Dundas" and "Dundas West", rather than someone who is at Dundas West incorrectly stating that they are at Dundas.

I'm not sure why one wouldn't assume that the information that the caller to 911 would be the weak link - especially in a panicked emergency.

I still don't see how this is an issue. So many duplicate station names in NYC and FDNY does not have a problem with this. It's the operator's duty to get this information from the caller.

"Hello I am in trouble at Islington station"
"Are you on the Bloor line or Eglinton line"
"Eglinton" (or "I don't know.")

"Green or Orange line?" / "Line 2 or 5?"
"Line 5" (or "I don't know.")

"Describe your location -- do you see any signage like an exit sign to a building or street?"

...and so on. If nothing else, modern phones have had the ability to transmit their location to 911 for years, and stations will be staffed for this very reason.

Folks, why does this have to re-explained? The reason they don't want duplicate names of stations is for emergency services. In an emergency, you want to make sure that emergency services arrive at the right place, and any sort of duplication could cause needless deaths.

This is a valid concern for street naming - I live on a street whose name closely resembles a larger, more well known street, and yes, we had an incident where the Fire Department went to the wrong one - but I'm not confident that it is what behind the Metrolinx naming obsession. For that matter - since we started ordering on line, we have had fewer delayed/missing food deliveries.

I'm not sure that ML/TTC have a sensible, internally consistent naming convention to begin with, even if 911 gets sorted out.

- Paul

The caller to 911 wouldn't know the name of the station they are currently at?
You underestimate how many people react, and don't think properly, during an emergency. Heck, my ability to remember the most obvious detail when talking publicly is diminished.

You underestimate how many people react, and don't think properly, during an emergency. Heck, my ability to remember the most obvious detail when talking publicly is diminished.
I'm quite happy to see those 911 locators or whatever they're called in parks etc. It's nice knowing someone can say the 4/5 digit code instead of by the old tree we sat under

Was digging through MERX - found this interesting tidbit about the Line 5 West Extension. Looks like Metrolinx will put out a competitive tender for additional Line 5 trains. Mixed Line 5 LRV fleet incoming? From the Stations, Systems, and Rail tender.
IMG_3503.jpeg

Edmonton is doing a mixed fleet for the Valley Line. Flexity Freedoms for Phase 1, Hyundai Rotem Company for Phase 2 (see below picture). Obviously these fleets will mix in service.
IMG_3505.jpeg

Was digging through MERX - found this interesting tidbit about the Line 5 West Extension. Looks like Metrolinx will put out a competitive tender for additional Line 5 trains. Mixed Line 5 LRV fleet incoming? From the Stations, Systems, and Rail tender.
View attachment 552988

Edmonton is doing a mixed fleet for the Valley Line. Flexity Freedoms for Phase 1, Hyundai Rotem Company for Phase 2 (see below picture). Obviously these fleets will mix in service.
View attachment 552989

So it is assumed that there would be through running all the way from Renforth to Kennedy? The EGWLRT and Crosstown LRT wouldn't run as separate routes I assume then.

So it is assumed that there would be through running all the way from Renforth to Kennedy? The EGWLRT and Crosstown LRT wouldn't run as separate routes I assume then.

We don’t know yet whether the service plan will have many turnbacks, but yes this is effectively one line served from the Mt Dennis MSF with the western part just being an extension of the trackage…. Unlike the east end of the city where the LRT extension won’t physically connect, and where a new MSF will be needed.

- Paul

Way back, when the TTC was planning the line, it was going to be designed so that the normal service pattern was that trains would travel from end-to-end along the full length of the line. The trackage was also designed to allow for a short-turn service to run from Weston to Brentcliffe, allowing for a doubling of frequencies through that section.

While the western end is now being put underground and will see the ability to run frequencies similar to the section from Weston to Brentcliffe, I don't see why we should be expecting anything different than what the original plan was.

Dan

Back