There are also several very reputable companies in that park, so what's your point?

Given that Bazis seems to function as both developer and general contractor it kind of makes sense for them to have an industrial-type building to run their operations out of

Case in point: Tridel's HQ. And similarly, if you want to talk about "in the family" you need look no further than Tridel for a local example

Last edited:
Greating to all, I just found this nice place for discussion.
As a purchaser, There is one thing come up to mind. does anyone knows emerald park situation for HST? will they apply HST to the condo for closing ?THis project has been delayed for such a long time. I hope Bazis can do something about it, and remain the tax rate unchanged.

You have any further info/news presses on the russian penny stock scam? -- I have a friend that works a couple buildings down and did not hear about the story.

I wouldn't bash Bazis so much. I understand you guys' perception of them. They are used to develop large projects with great government assistance in Russia and Kazahkstan, there its a much more different atmosphere and mentality when it comes to the developments. OBV. it doesn't work the same here so Bazis using the same techniques not the best way of doing business, maybe. However, I am involved in investing and developing mid-size projects in Canada, Macedonia, Montenegro, Serbia, Bulgaria, Ukraine and Russia.

I am all for international developers coming to toronto bringing a new perspective/expertise in the local market. Yes, that means the road will be a little bumpy for them.

I hope to see this project start soon and think it will be a very nice unique look to the North York Skyline.

I have a friend who is a mortgage broker that works with all these large type developments in Toronto and he always seems to have the scoop on the financing side of things. I don't think Bazis went on a JV and especially not with Tridel.

^Drive by Bazis HQ sometime. A Russian penny stock scam had an office across the street 3 years ago, which is why I know the area (I investigate scams.)

Does this HQ inspire confidence?

Another suspicious aspect of Bazis--the wiki entry claims they have 13,000 employees, yet the company couldn't even finance 1 Bloor East? As well, their Canada operations are run by Mr and Mrs Gold--Michael Gold's wife was head of sales for 1 Bloor. Very "in the family" know what I'm saying...?

Anyone heard when they are going to make the annoucement on the new developer here?

I really doubt they went with a jv partner--and they didnt sell it to anyone else.

I see Bazis carrying this by themselves. They probably arranged financing now that they have the pre-sales.

I really want to see this being dug in the ground already. This will definately add nicely to the Skyline.

City Planning Final Report

Report recommending approval of Emerald Park to be considered by North York Community Council on April 27, 2010:

http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2010/ny/bgrd/backgroundfile-29435.pdf

The Emerald Park development would have a maximum gross floor area of approximately 59,985 m2 consisting of two residential towers, 40 and 30-storeys in height including a 4-level base building with commercial uses on the first 3-levels. A maximum 565 residential units, with approximately 47,398 m2 residential floor area and approximately 10,692 m2 of non-residential floor area.

Servicing and vehicular access would be provided from Bogert Avenue. The applicant has developed a vehicular court within the building that provides access to the underground parking garage, which includes the loading area on the ground floor, and access to the residential drop-off area. A service corridor running the length of the building will provide distribution functions for the commercial uses, as well as provide for residential moving requirements including garbage and loading.

A total of 4 loading spaces are proposed to service both the residential and non-residential uses. Approximately 802 parking spaces are proposed within 6 levels of underground parking, with 181 commercial parking spaces, which includes the provision of 74 parking spaces to be shared with Lansing United Church.

The existing TTC pedestrian stairwell located at the front of the site on Yonge Street would be incorporated within the new building with an elevator/stairs providing access to the south end of the Yonge/Sheppard subway station.

The applicant is to convey to the City, for road widening purposes, a 1.51 metre strip the entire Bogert Avenue frontage and a triangular strip along the Poyntz Avenue frontage of approximately 887m2.

Its great that this will provide access to the south end of the Yonge subway platform ~ :)

Ground Floor / Site Plan
EmeraldPark_sp.jpg

South Elevation
EmeraldPark_elevS.jpg

Some progress. This is good news for the buyers... I wonder if it goes through when the construction will begin?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sweet. I hope that they approve this project. It will be a great addition to North York Yonge strip.

P. 31 of the document says that the building height will be "129 and 102 (approx 143 & 114 at top of building, when including the mechanical and architectural features)". Not bad at all!

Finally some good news. The SW stretch of Y. and S. really needs some pizazz, if you will. Now if they would do something with that parking lot right on the corner. And what's the deal with that proposed mall on the NW corner?

That proposed mall on the NE corner has been "proposed" as a build for a few years now. I think nothing is happening, isn't it TTC lands as well? Geez, they are slow to let developers in on their holdings.

Great news, not just because it fills a gap in North York Centre but because it delivers a well designed building - something sorely lacking in this area. Hopefully, a successful project here will put pressure on other developers to improve their building designs. Until people start voting with ther wallets, builings like Emerald Park will continue to be rare.

It's just a proposal. I think we're getting ahead of ourselves that it fills any gap eventhough the market is still clicking on all cylinders. I'm not sure I'd throw accolades towards the design either as the twin towers on a low commercial podium block is all too common in North York Centre. The crown is kinda different but still on the gimmicky side. It probably won't look as good as rendered wrapped in the typical spandrel glass panels either.

Back