As can be seen from UrbanDreamer's lastest photo, the 31 storey West Tower's 2-level steel HSS truss is now filled with those 2 level high freight container size HVAC units(?). Be interesting to see where they place them for the 40-storey East Tower since it's steel truss will be significantly shorter; the spine still needs to go quite a bit higher to top out.

Totally agree. The first one was ok for comic value :), but the continuation insults our intelligence (regardless of where u stand on this condo) and the integrity of this forum.

I haven't deleted them only because I want the person who posted them to see what our readership really thought of their ridiculous hyperbole. It's one thing for the admins to tell someone that their posts are over-the-top claptrap (and they have been told), but when they can see the reaction from Forum members, it really sinks in.

As can be seen from UrbanDreamer's lastest photo, the 31 storey West Tower's 2-level steel HSS truss is now filled with those 2 level high freight container size HVAC units(?). Be interesting to see where they place them for the 40-storey East Tower since it's steel truss will be significantly shorter; the spine still needs to go quite a bit higher to top out.

I do no know if it is so in this case, but it may be possible that the main mechanical services for both buildings could be provided by the equipment on the 31 storey tower. A couple of examples near us - in the 650 King West project, the mechanical services in the King Street building serve the Bathurst building as well, similarly, at the 621 King Street project, the mechanical services located in the Stewart Street building will server the King street building as well. Each building would need its own make up air systems, so there would still be some mechanical equipment in the other tower, but not nearly as much if the main mechanical equipment is only in one. I would suspect that cost is the major factor in this approach, for the same capacity (and redundancy) it may be less expensive to have one larger system than two smaller ones.

Last edited:
The steel HSS truss on the 40-storey East Tower will likely be about half the size of the one used on the 31-storey West Tower (which have 2 level of those trailer shaped HVAC); that East Tower shorter truss could probably hide one level of those trailer shaped HVAC (?) units but where would they place the rest? Maybe on other side of the spine or perhaps in the spine itself since it'll be significantly higher.

BTW, anyone know what those 2-level trailer shaped HVAC(?) units really are? They're huge at over 20 feet high, they can't just be roof top vent fans.

AHK, you're right to suspect cost as a major factor especially with this developer and their past history <cough>CrystalBlu<cough>.

Also, as can be seen in UrbanDreamer's photo, the window cladding on is now covers about half the curve side of the shorter West Tower; the light reflection emphasizes the curve especially during sunset - it would have been absolutely spectacular if the had used good quality glass as shown in their original rendering.

SomeMidTowner, that image makes our NYC (North York Centre) look more like the other NYC - New York City.

That's a great shot someMidTowner, a nice change. It expresses a very eerie, somber mood.

agreed. what a great pic. the cranes really make that pic for me.

As for the hate over Emerald Park (and the green glass), this type of green I'd take any day over say, the type of aqua-typical-green glass found on buildings like pinnacle. At least Emerald goes full out with the bold green colour and tries to have its own identity. That combined with the unique design, the massing, and the way this looks at street level does it for me. It's a great contribution to the North York skyline and is a really nice expression that not all condos have to look the same.

Emerald green (taken today):

14575812869_bbab7b6518_c.jpg

vs.

Pinnacle green:
12---16-Yonge-Street---The-Pinnacle-Centre-Condos.jpg

http://www.jarrodarmstrong.com/imag...Yonge-Street---The-Pinnacle-Centre-Condos.jpg

agreed. what a great pic. the cranes really make that pic for me.

As for the hate over Emerald Park (and the green glass), this type of green I'd take any day over say, the type of aqua-typical-green glass found on buildings like pinnacle. At least Emerald goes full out with the bold green colour and tries to have its own identity. That combined with the unique design, the massing, and the way this looks at street level does it for me. It's a great contribution to the North York skyline and is a really nice expression that not all condos have to look the same.

Emerald green

Agreed completely.
While I'm not a big fan of the podium, the towers themselves are interesting and distinctive and I would take them over just about any blue or sea-foam green glass box being built downtown. It's detractors will point out the mullion heavy window wall and claim that automatically makes the building a failure. And sure, any building would look better clad in a silky smooth curtain wall. But I don't mind the textured appearance the window wall gives, because its consistent from the top down to the podium without any off-putting random sized floor heights or spandrel sections to drawn ones attention towards. Which imo are the biggest failings of buildings like Trump & Aura. The curved feature, while perhaps not being the most graceful, is far from being tacky and makes quite the statement when approaching the buildings from the south. Lastly it adds a touch of color that this city is severely lacking and would certainly be much appreciated in monotone areas like southcore or the entertainment district.

Back