"if"

...and secondly it really isn't "water under the bridge" for all those directly involved - delays have significant and costly impacts... or even indirectly with the extended period of this that the corner of Y/B will be a total mess.

As much as this site is begging to be redeveloped, and as much as Emerald Park would be a welcome and fairly sleek addition to North York's condoscape and streetscape, I'd not be at all surprised if it fell through completely...if its failure means even the slightest bit of buoyancy for Hullmark across the street, if even one buyer ditches Bazis and buys at Hullmark, then I'm fine with Emerald Park going up in flames.

I know it's exceedingly unlikely, but the entire SW quadrant of Yonge & Sheppard needs to be replanned (well, really just the first block or two off Yonge). There's a few good reasons for having more development east of Yonge (including my pet fantasy of connecting Willowdale to Upper Canada via a bridge over the 401...a Bessarion-Bannatyne connection would also be great), but the SW is such an afterthought in the context of the whole North York Centre zone, as if a few angry NIMBYs managed to get it wiped off the radar of redevelopment for fears of traffic barrelling through the area at 40 km/hr, disturbing the stucco on their McMansions and waking little Hunter and Madison from their afternoon nap.

As much as this site is begging to be redeveloped, and as much as Emerald Park would be a welcome and fairly sleek addition to North York's condoscape and streetscape, I'd not be at all surprised if it fell through completely...if its failure means even the slightest bit of buoyancy for Hullmark across the street, if even one buyer ditches Bazis and buys at Hullmark, then I'm fine with Emerald Park going up in flames.

I know it's exceedingly unlikely, but the entire SW quadrant of Yonge & Sheppard needs to be replanned (well, really just the first block or two off Yonge). There's a few good reasons for having more development east of Yonge (including my pet fantasy of connecting Willowdale to Upper Canada via a bridge over the 401...a Bessarion-Bannatyne connection would also be great), but the SW is such an afterthought in the context of the whole North York Centre zone, as if a few angry NIMBYs managed to get it wiped off the radar of redevelopment for fears of traffic barrelling through the area at 40 km/hr, disturbing the stucco on their McMansions and waking little Hunter and Madison from their afternoon nap.

LOL,.... I'm not sure if you realize this,... but the local city councillor actually already have a motion to get the speed limit reduced down to 40km/hr on all the residential streets in the SW quadrant of Yonge & Sheppard. :D

LOL,.... I'm not sure if you realize this,... but the local city councillor actually already have a motion to get the speed limit reduced down to 40km/hr on all the residential streets in the SW quadrant of Yonge & Sheppard. :D

Yes, I knew that. Everyone here knows as much about local urban issues as you do.

Ironically, additional redevelopable blocks in West Lansing would do more to prevent harmful traffic from infiltrating the earshot and sightlines of their precious homes by forcing a rejigging of the street grid as has been done in the rest of North York Centre...Hunter and Madison would appreciate being able to play on the road and their parents would appreciate owning a home with an exclusive crescent or cul-de-sac address instead of a dangerous and deadly thoroughfare like Florence Avenue.

Yes, I knew that. Everyone here knows as much about local urban issues as you do.

Ironically, additional redevelopable blocks in West Lansing would do more to prevent harmful traffic from infiltrating the earshot and sightlines of their precious homes by forcing a rejigging of the street grid as has been done in the rest of North York Centre...Hunter and Madison would appreciate being able to play on the road and their parents would appreciate owning a home with an exclusive crescent or cul-de-sac address instead of a dangerous and deadly thoroughfare like Florence Avenue.

I seriously doubt that Florence Avenue would be safer.

Florence Avenue have always been a feeder street,... so even if "additional redevelopable blocks in West Lansing" would force the city to "rejigging of the street grid as has been done in the rest of North York Centre",... Florence Avenue (on the West side of Yonge) will still be a feeder street and throughfare,... as it's twin street Avondale Avenue on the east side of Yonge.

And look at how the "additional redevelopable blocks" on the east side of Yonge have treated Avondale Avenue,.... Avondale Avenue was originally just a feeder street for a neighbourhood area a third the size that Florence Avenue serve as a feeder street. Now with all the condos on the east side of Yonge,... a few years ago Avondale Avenue was widen to 4 lanes of traffic,.. and that's 5 lanes at Yonge Street. And that's Avondale Avenue serving just as a feeder street.

Now that the city is planning on extending the North York east service road down to Avondale Avenue,... to have Avondale Avenue serve as a feeder street and as a east service road,... the city plans to widen Avondale Avenue to 6 lanes of traffic,... and 7 lanes where it meets Yonge,... Avondale Avenue as a service road to Yonge Street,... Avondale Avenue is going to be as wide as Yonge Street. The kids on Avondale Avenue will be safer playing ball hockey on Yonge Street!!! :eek:

So if you think Florence Avenue is a dangerous and deadly thoroughfare now,... just imagine what it'll be like after "additional redevelopable blocks in West Lansing" will do,... especially if the North York west service road gets moved down from Poyntz to Florence Avenue,.... residents of Florence Avenue only have to look to the other side of Yonge streets,... at Avondale Avenue to see.

I seriously doubt that Florence Avenue would be safer.

Florence Avenue have always been a feeder street,... so even if "additional redevelopable blocks in West Lansing" would force the city to "rejigging of the street grid as has been done in the rest of North York Centre",... Florence Avenue (on the West side of Yonge) will still be a feeder street and throughfare,... as it's twin street Avondale Avenue on the east side of Yonge.

And look at how the "additional redevelopable blocks" on the east side of Yonge have treated Avondale Avenue,.... Avondale Avenue was originally just a feeder street for a neighbourhood area a third the size that Florence Avenue serve as a feeder street. Now with all the condos on the east side of Yonge,... a few years ago Avondale Avenue was widen to 4 lanes of traffic,.. and that's 5 lanes at Yonge Street. And that's Avondale Avenue serving just as a feeder street.

Now that the city is planning on extending the North York east service road down to Avondale Avenue,... to have Avondale Avenue serve as a feeder street and as a east service road,... the city plans to widen Avondale Avenue to 6 lanes of traffic,... and 7 lanes where it meets Yonge,... Avondale Avenue as a service road to Yonge Street,... Avondale Avenue is going to be as wide as Yonge Street. The kids on Avondale Avenue will be safer playing ball hockey on Yonge Street!!! :eek:

So if you think Florence Avenue is a dangerous and deadly thoroughfare now,... just imagine what it'll be like after "additional redevelopable blocks in West Lansing" will do,... especially if the North York west service road gets moved down from Poyntz to Florence Avenue,.... residents of Florence Avenue only have to look to the other side of Yonge streets,... at Avondale Avenue to see.

Read between the lines. None of these streets are dangerous now, and I'm not just talking about Florence (it just had the most disarming name). There won't even be any houses on the 'dangerous' part of Avondale once all's said and done.

You could lower the speed limit to 20 km/hr but the real traffic problems - if any actually exist - are the fact that the grid remains fully accessible and that sidewalks are not everywhere...these could both be addressed by developing additional blocks. There's always trade-offs...an accessible grid that lets traffic run through an area or a more constrained grid that deters through-traffic but also limits how easily local residents can drive around (north of Sheppard, for instance, you have to drive south to Sheppard to access Yonge as all the streets at Beecroft have been blocked off).

But instead of coming up with solutions to potential traffic problems, the city decided to permit a very unstable swath of detached houses to stay within spitting distance of a subway interchange.

So what's the next date that we'll find something out? My family has a bundle of cash tied up in this project........over $600K....and would love to get my money back.

Hate to break the bad news, but be prepared for a long dragged out waiting period of no news (that seems to be Bazis way of doing things ~)

How can you get your deposits back? maybe talk to your real estate lawyer ~

Just visited them a few days ago..

So I was in the area to buy a condo around Yonge and Sheppard. Saw the sign for Emerald Park on the side.. Went to the Show room, and it was by appointment only. After knocking aloud Eric came by and opened the door.

I must say, the finishing and everything was nice and the price relative to other ones in the area is attractive other then the fact it does not offer a parking spot.

Eric did mention that there are changes being made with the City to get the final go ahead. So that problem is still not resolved at the moment, but he is Confident that it will be ontime to the stated deadline.. He said 80% are sold, with most of them being the small and lower units. Many of the big ones are left to be sold. He stated that there are cancellations, but only a few.

However, reading this forum and noticing all the problems with 1st of Bloor and the argument with the City (he complained that they were on strike) and could not get things settled, I highly doubt the building will be finished on time..

I think for those that have put a deposit down to the developer, you need to really ask them to have meeting to let you know what is on the horizon.. This is a huge mixed bag here.. Financing, approvals, unit cancellations, show room by appointment only.....

I like the building, but it is pricey and with this unknown in the horizon I dunno..... I will keep an eye out on it as I do like the design and layouts..

What does everyone else think?

Hate to break the bad news, but be prepared for a long dragged out waiting period of no news (that seems to be Bazis way of doing things ~)

How can you get your deposits back? maybe talk to your real estate lawyer ~
Has Bazis always been like this?

I hope Emerald City's builder, El-Ad, won't be like them.

care to share a source?

Otherwise I may also say:

In related news ... Bazis will commence construction of One Bloor later next month ~

Has anyone canceled the unit that purchased from Emarlad park?

Has anyone canceled the unit that purchased from Emarlad park and got the deposit back?

I went to sale office the other day and talked to the sales man. He did admit that they haven’t got the permit from the city; they are still in negotiation with the city for the permit.

Now my concern is if they still can’t get the permit, what will they do? It seems there are so many problems out there. Financing, 1 bloor issues and building permit. Are they going to delay a few more times and hold the money or will they take the money and run away?

I want to cancel the unit i purchased as i don't feel comfortable with Bazis, but I was told that base on the agreement, they didn't breach the agreement, so that I would not be able to cancel it and get my deposit back. if anyone has successfully got the deposit back, please let me know. thanks.

Back