The pile of dirt is shrinking:

They poured plenty of concrete at the east side; I am not sure if it was for a second crane foundation or related to underground water leaks fixing.

I was trying to figure out where the soil in that ramp is going.

The ramp starts at least 15 feet below grade now and there is no exit for vehicles. There are no dump trucks to take the soil away, even if they could. We have not seen the crane lifting buckets of dirt out of the excavation during the week, but the former ramp is much lower than before, no more than a very large pile.

Perhaps it is just spread out over a larger area--anyone with solutions?

Toronto-20120413-00003.jpg

Thanks for updates, jivey80. There is a line up of dump trucks as we speak; I hope digging will be completed soon!

As it turns out they were first reducing the earth pile by spreading it out southward.

That allowed for completing the shoring on the north side down to the base level. Then they started moving the earth back to the north to build the pile back up to ground level. There were two backhoes, a smaller one to move the soil from the bottom to the middle of the north pile. The larger backhoe was located at the top of the pile to build the earth up back to ground level. This allowed them to build a new ramp with access for the dump trucks to remove the soil.

It is like playing with toy trucks in a sandbox; bigger boys with large toys.

The trailer of that underground de-watering company is gone now; I assume those underwater leaks are stopped now. They poured plenty of concrete at the east-south corner, but I am not sure if it is related to the second crane base or to something else. The pile of dirt is keeping on shrinking:

ut2ep1img0219.jpg

Last edited:
Here are some pics:

ximg0226.jpg

ximg0233.jpg

ximg0235.jpg

ximg0236.jpg

The timing of erecting cranes follows what AD27 suggested. I hope his (her? I doubt it...) info that the buildings might go taller is correct as well!!!

Well, I hope they will be as tall as they were planned originally (at least...).

I do trust AD27; everything he says turns out to be true. I am still surprised why there is no application to the city to amend the buildings' height; the only application under review for Emerald now is:
"Partial Permit - Structural Framing".

Last edited:
Interesting. This cutting down of floors and asking for them later is such a weird dynamic. I wonder if the planning department knows they can get concessions later so they make arbitrary cuts of a few floors on the pre-construction approval. Cynical, but seems to happen regularly. 1BE also comes to mind.

Back