News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Grey I would like to know why the TO club scene is pathetic. You just have to know where to go. Tryst is a classy venue on Peter street. Of course you have the drunken hooligans,(and I really don't like them!) but that takes place in any city.

On a side note, how come dance clubs get unfairly pilloried in the media, but dirty pubs do not? I personally find pubs and bars to be boring, compared to clubs, and many others feel the way I do. It would be a tragedy to lose real nightlife in the city.

Toronto Entertainment District - A Master Plan?

The Toronto Entertainment District Business Improvement Area is undertaking a Master Plan: http://entertainmentdistrict.ca/home.php

According to their copy, they're working to 'provide a long-term vision for the future look and feel of this extraordinary part of the city'.

After watching the opening slide show visualize Toronto's many different attractions, I couldn't help notice that some prominent businesses have not been included, Second City for example, Torontos best comedy club is not listed, while much smaller venues are profiled. Culturally insignificant destinations like Crocodile Rock, Steam Whistle Brewery and Canada Blooms at the Metro Convention Center are shown. Who decides? The almighty dollar?

Is this just a marketing frenzy or does this municipal task force actually do anything of substance? Right now I'd say that all they do is limit the exposure that tourists have to local arts in favour of funneling folks into big corporate venues.

Cultural Significance

The Toronto Entertainment District Business Improvement Area is undertaking a Master Plan: http://entertainmentdistrict.ca/home.php

According to their copy, they're working to 'provide a long-term vision for the future look and feel of this extraordinary part of the city'.

After watching the opening slide show visualize Toronto's many different attractions, I couldn't help notice that some prominent businesses have not been included, Second City for example, Torontos best comedy club is not listed, while much smaller venues are profiled. Culturally insignificant destinations like Crocodile Rock, Steam Whistle Brewery and Canada Blooms at the Metro Convention Center are shown. Who decides? The almighty dollar?

Is this just a marketing frenzy or does this municipal task force actually do anything of substance? Right now I'd say that all they do is limit the exposure that tourists have to local arts in favour of funneling folks into big corporate venues.

For a decade, Steam Whistle Brewing has been operating in the National Heritage site, The CPR John St. Roundhouse. This building had been dormant for 11 years before Steam Whistle breathed life back into the site and restored it to its industrial roots. Adopting a number of environmentally sensitive initiatives (The brewery runs on 100% Bullfrog Power, Deep Lake Water Cooling and District Steam Heat green initiatives), Steam Whistle was named one of only 21 Green Buildings by Toronto's Clean Air Partnership in 2007. It has been a featured building for a decade in the city's annual Doors Open Toronto Architectural Festival and has been lauded as a particularly successful adaptive re-use of a space being sensitive to the historic use of the building, culturally supportive and environmentally aware. Steam Whistle has been the voice to the public for the historic railway use of the Roundhouse highlighting this story in their tours which run every half hour seven days a week. For 68 months, the brewery has exhibited work by local artists, and has a steady events calendar of cultural, charitable and community events. More than 80,000 visitors last year might disagree with your suggestion that the brewery is culturally insignificant.

Indeed, I love SteamWhistle, their venue and the role they've played in this city for the last decade. The line "culturally insignificant" was indeed a little strange.

Since we have your attention though, can you share any insights about this Master Plan Sybil?

Although I wasn't part of the committee in creating this Master Plan, any improvements and profile that the BIA can bring to this important tourist hub in Toronto will be a win for all constituents. And, being that it is the Toronto "Entertainment" District we are discussing, I think it is fair to say that hospitality goes hand in hand with tourism, so food and beverage establishments have a role to play. The BIA rightly represents all constituents and in any correspondence I have seen from the BIA to its members, they welcome participation from ALL members. Perhaps it is just that Second City did not meet their deadline to return promotional pictures and text before the Master Plan launch. It is clearly my understanding that all would benefit and participate in the work of the BIA. I don't think any more than that should be made of Second City's lack of visibility in the Master Plan document.

For a decade, Steam Whistle Brewing has been operating in the National Heritage site, The CPR John St. Roundhouse. This building had been dormant for 11 years before Steam Whistle breathed life back into the site and restored it to its industrial roots. Adopting a number of environmentally sensitive initiatives (The brewery runs on 100% Bullfrog Power, Deep Lake Water Cooling and District Steam Heat green initiatives), Steam Whistle was named one of only 21 Green Buildings by Toronto's Clean Air Partnership in 2007. It has been a featured building for a decade in the city's annual Doors Open Toronto Architectural Festival and has been lauded as a particularly successful adaptive re-use of a space being sensitive to the historic use of the building, culturally supportive and environmentally aware. Steam Whistle has been the voice to the public for the historic railway use of the Roundhouse highlighting this story in their tours which run every half hour seven days a week. For 68 months, the brewery has exhibited work by local artists, and has a steady events calendar of cultural, charitable and community events. More than 80,000 visitors last year might disagree with your suggestion that the brewery is culturally insignificant.

TORONTO ENTERTAINMENT DISTRICT MASTER PLAN

Have you guys noticed how in this "Master Plan" there are no creative or original ideas? lol They just keep repeating the same things, over and over, for each district. All they can think of is add some paving stones, public art, put in some trees and a few public squares. These are things we've already done everywhere, so where are the big ideas?

They don't plan to turn any of the streets into pedestrian areas, although I think John Street is an obvious place to put a pedestrian street. Last of the original ideas, expand sidewalks! So basically, what they plan to do, is just what every other part of Toronto already did, or is going to do. (Bloor, Yonge, Parliament, Jarvis, as well as others) Since when is the same old thing, creative or original? Of course, we should be doing those things, all over the city, that goes without saying, and you don't need a costly study to figure that out. DUH! lol

Toronto needs to raise it's standards, it deserves so much better, and the sad part is, that it's not so hard to do. I'm sorry but these standard solutions aren't going to turn this area into a tourist magnet, well, more than it already is. It will just make this area another completely ordinary but nice, part of Toronto.

Last edited:
The old 'Chum 1050' will be put up on the City TV building on Queen St. It'll go on the Richmond St. side near Duncan

Do you mean the sign that is at the old Yonge Street studios right now?
I seem to recall that sign has a famous event tied to it. Something about a man in a nearby apartment building shooting at it because he thought CHUM was broadcasting messages into his brain. Or am is my mind making that up?

Are you talking about when the aerial fell on the sign in 1986?

Incidentally, not only is the sign no longer at 1331 Yonge, it's being reinstalled as we speak at Richmond + Duncan...

Are you talking about when the aerial fell on the sign in 1986?

Incidentally, not only is the sign no longer at 1331 Yonge, it's being reinstalled as we speak at Richmond + Duncan...

That is it! But I remember hearing the aerial fell because of some crazy shooting at it from the apartment building to the south-east. I don't know if that part is true or not.

Toronto's Entertainment District to become city's masterpiece; Business Improvement Area launches 'Master Plan'

Plan ensures Entertainment District's vision provides a template
for ongoing transformation - one tied to economic development
and progressive self-management of future growth

TORONTO, June 16 /CNW/ - The Entertainment District Business Improvement
Area (BIA) today announced the launch of its Master Plan - a vision for the
future that will ensure the needs of existing and future businesses,
residents, tourists and the citizens of Toronto are harmonized within the
area's ongoing transformation and revitalization.
The Master Plan - developed through a highly collaborative, open, public
planning process between the BIA, its member organizations, the City of
Toronto, Resident Associations, the Planning Partnership and the public - has
been put forth to protect and reinforce the distinct and defining
characteristics that are central to the Entertainment District's sustained
success, and to retain and attract the kinds of businesses and organizations
that make it unique within the city.
"Like London's West End, and New York's Broadway, Toronto's Entertainment
District will now be able to take its rightful place among the world's leading
tourist and urban destinations," said Toronto Mayor David Miller. "The
Entertainment District BIA has done a tremendous job of working with all
members of the community to ensure that this remarkable area remains a key
economic and cultural engine within the City of Toronto."
Elements of the Master Plan were officially unveiled today at a press
conference at 225 King Street West (Atrium) at 10:15AM where the plan and its
impact on Toronto were discussed by Councillor Adam Vaughan and executives
from the BIA. One of the key priorities identified through the Master Plan
development process is recognizing John Street as a Cultural Corridor. This
'Spine' is a natural starting point for which the Master Plan aims to develop
and highlight. Envisioned as a pedestrian-oriented destination, John Street is
named in the plan as a focal point that will link the District's major civic
and cultural attractions and provide a central north-south connection linking
its five Character Areas. This morning's discussion of the plan was aided by
artistic renderings of the area's potential future state. Digital versions of
those renderings are posted on the Entertainment District BIA's website
http://www.torontoentertainmentdistrict.ca
"Toronto's Entertainment District BIA continues to achieve significant
milestones such as this Master Plan - a document that will give its' diverse
stakeholder groups a cohesive vision to guide future change. It also provides
groups beyond the BIA's borders with a sense of what could be by providing a
vision that could link the AGO to the waterfront as an extension of its
cultural corridor," said Adam Vaughan, Toronto City Councillor,
Trinity-Spadina. "Through continued dialogue, improvements in the area's
architecture, and design of public spaces, we will create a safe, well managed
neighbourhood that mixes creative businesses, housing, vibrant day and
nightlife, and well thought-out, planned development."
Added Jack Robinson, COO, CN Tower and chairperson, Entertainment
District BIA Board of Directors: "Toronto's Entertainment District BIA is an
extremely important area with a number of the country's most recognizable
organizations as its members. This vision, and its prioritized list of
developments, will ensure that those assets have the best possible showcase,
and that individuals will continue to build, thrive and invest within one of
the City's most vibrant neighbourhoods."

The Plan's guiding principles include:

- To Protect historic and character buildings, current height
patterns, and balance of mixed use spaces;

- To Promote local businesses, tourism, and heritage environments;
and

- To Enhance streetscapes, open areas, and livable and pedestrian
environments.

"As the City of Toronto continues to grow, this Plan will help to ensure
that the Entertainment District continues to transform in a coordinated and
desirable way," furthered Michael Emory, president & CEO, Allied Properties
REIT and chairperson, BIA Master Plan Advisory Committee. "The Plan strikes a
successful balance between this extraordinarily diverse and dynamic community,
one that emphasizes the mutually reinforcing nature of the many different
parts-new buildings alongside heritage structures, cultural venues and
corridors in the midst of commercial concentrations and entertainment venues
bordering residential condominiums."
Funding for plan implementation is expected to come from a number of
public and private partnerships. The next steps towards its implementation
include technical designs and any necessary studies to ensure successful
implementation of the plan over time.

About the Entertainment District Business Improvement Area

Established in 2008, the Toronto Entertainment District Business
Improvement Area's (BIA) mandate is to promote, improve, and preserve this
dynamic area of Toronto. Benefiting from economic, environmental and social
factors driving downtown growth, the Entertainment District is in the midst of
a renaissance, firmly establishing itself as a thriving and vibrant district
for living, creating, working and entertainment.
The Entertainment District is comprised of some of the country's most
nationally and internationally recognized businesses and culturally
significant organizations, including: the CN Tower, the Royal Alexandra
Theatre, the Princess of Wales Theatre, the Rogers Centre, the Toronto Blue
Jays, the Air Canada Centre, the Toronto Maple Leafs, the Toronto Raptors, the
Toronto Rock, the Metro Toronto Convention Centre, Roy Thomson Hall, the
Toronto Symphony Orchestra, CTV, CBC, NFB, the Four Season's Centre for the
Performing Arts, the National Ballet of Canada, the Canadian Opera Company and
the Bell Lightbox (soon to be located at King & John).

Back