News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

The bowling place seemed an interesting and promising concept until I saw some of their otherwise well designed posters with the catch phrase "We Got Balls", which labeled it decidedly lowbrow in my (elitist) mind.

Was in the district on Saturday night. What a ghostland.

There were quite a few clubs that a were closed this past weekend due to liquor license suspensions. Most clubs will use the quietest month of the year to serve these suspensions.

The bowling place seemed an interesting and promising concept until I saw some of their otherwise well designed posters with the catch phrase "We Got Balls", which labeled it decidedly lowbrow in my (elitist) mind.

Then again, all things considered, aiming for the Q107 crowd isn't *bad* lowbrow...

I'm gay so I didn't hang out in that area come a Friday or Saturday night. I've been there a few times in my 20s and it was busy with mostly suburbanites pub/club crawling. I don't know if the 905 crowd just stays home now or the straight club scene has turned into more of a lounge scene? I refuse to believe that condo owners complaining about the noise (screw 'em) were the main cause of its decline — it wouldn't have been this swift! Partying must've changed as well. I don't know. The gay scene is pretty dispersed now too with Ossington, Church and Leslieville being the main areas (I think). And they aren't 'clubs', but rather pubs/bars with a small dance space.

Hurrah! I didn't have the balls to do it. Lol.

Lack of balls or a lack of respect?

Fewer would imply that there is less. But that's less accurate if the number has diminished greatly, as is the case. If "far less destinations" is grammatically incorrect, so be it. The majority understood clearly.

I'm gay so I didn't hang out in that area come a Friday or Saturday night. I've been there a few times in my 20s and it was busy with mostly suburbanites pub/club crawling. I don't know if the 905 crowd just stays home now or the straight club scene has turned into more of a lounge scene? I refuse to believe that condo owners complaining about the noise (screw 'em) were the main cause of its decline — it wouldn't have been this swift! Partying must've changed as well. I don't know. The gay scene is pretty dispersed now too with Ossington, Church and Leslieville being the main areas (I think). And they aren't 'clubs', but rather pubs/bars with a small dance space.

The 25+ straights have moved over to King Street where the clubs have a more mature crowd than the Entertainment District. In many ways, I view King West as the new Entertainment District but on a very different level and with very different demographics. It would be interesting to know the 416/905 mix. The Entertainment District was 60% 905ers whereas today due to the decline in clubs it seems that 905 clubs are taking advantage. The swift decline has been due to a change in licencing and I think the city wants to see more residential downtown. More condos equate to more property taxes and money talks.

The gay scene has moved to West Queen West and Ossington and Leslieville is a less traveled gem. Awesome personalities are at The Curzan and it feels like a neighbourhood scene that's very eclectic and full of energy. There's some other great bars in Leslieville too. I almost want to keep them a secret. :)

What does being gay have to do with going to the Entertainment district? They're not straight clubs. They are CLUBS.

What does being gay have to do with going to the Entertainment district? They're not straight clubs. They are CLUBS.

It has everything to do with it. Lol. For better or for worse there is different music, different crowds (a lot more girls/women for one); it's more expensive (shockingly so); and, let us not forget the weekly fights and occasional shootings. The Gay and the straight scene haven't blended that much so that there is just one 'scene'. It isn't divided as it used to be, for sure. It depends on the crowd. I would go to a 'straight club' on Ossington (and do), but I would not go to John/Richmond on a Friday or Saturday night. x

Are there any specific clubs or areas one could visit that cater to the (shrinking) hard rock/live music demographic?

Tattoo Rock Parlour is the only big club that I can think of that caters to hard rock. Mostly DJs, but I know they have live music events there often.

As for being gay and the Entertainment District, while I may be straight I have frequented many gay bars and clubs and it just takes experience to realize that the Entertainment District quite simply isn't conducive to being a gay positive environment. It's a mainstream destination for GTAers to go party and the level of sophistication is rather low. I'm not even trying to diss the ED. Just calling it as it is.

Tattoo Rock Parlour is the only big club that I can think of that caters to hard rock. Mostly DJs, but I know they have live music events there often.

As for being gay and the Entertainment District, while I may be straight I have frequented many gay bars and clubs and it just takes experience to realize that the Entertainment District quite simply isn't conducive to being a gay positive environment. It's a mainstream destination for GTAers to go party and the level of sophistication is rather low. I'm not even trying to diss the ED. Just calling it as it is.

Amen.

Back