News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

I'm not discounting bouncy castles - they're an integral part of every festival where children are present. What I take issue with is that these alleged street 'festivals' think that by simply including a bouncy, a crap band(s) and/or ethnic dance group(s), overpriced food and a guarded drinking prison - then they have fulfilled the requisite minimum requirements and... that's it that's all, let Taste of ________ commence!

While Supercrawl is marginally better, it would be roundly dismissed as lame in a city like Montreal. Believe me, I'm currently working there (here?), in the middle of their festival season.
Does anyone remember Mel Lastman's horrific Celebrate Yonge Festival? It ran annually from maybe 1998-2006'ish. I used to call it Shopper's Drug Mart fest as that was mostly what you saw at each "zone."

Does anyone remember Mel Lastman's horrific Celebrate Yonge Festival? It ran annually from maybe 1998-2006'ish. I used to call it Shopper's Drug Mart fest as that was mostly what you saw at each "zone."
Oh yeah. Wong-Tam revived it somewhat back in 2012. Valiant attempt but complete waste of time nonetheless.

Speaking of a waste of time I give you - Open Streets TO! WTF is the point in closing a portion of street for only 4 hours, 2 times a year?

Totally clueless.

Oh yeah. Wong-Tam revived it somewhat back in 2012. Valiant attempt but complete waste of time nonetheless.

Speaking of a waste of time I give you - Open Streets TO! WTF is the point in closing a portion of street for only 4 hours, 2 times a year?

Totally clueless.

Typically spineless approach by our civic leadership, bending over backwards not to upset car drivers too much.

I'm wondering when this city will get a clue.

Typically spineless approach by our civic leadership, bending over backwards not to upset car drivers too much.

I'm wondering when this city will get a clue.
It's the '4 hours' that gets me. WTF is the point in closing a street for only 4 hours?

It's tokenism, it's "See! We close our streets too!" only other cities close their streets for days, weeks, months, permanently.

Toronto just wants the selfie.

Went to the first Taste of Germany at the Brickworks on Sunday. What a disaster. You know something's seriously wrong when even Germans can't properly organize a festival. I saw stands offering the following: Mexican churros and tacos, Tibetan momos, Turkish snacks, Caribbean patties, etc...just about everything except actual German food, which was the whole point of going there. We later found out that massive crowds had shown up hours before the event even opened, and that all the German food ran out by noon. Yet, you'd be hard pressed to find an actual German restaurant anywhere downtown. I'd kill to have access to a schnitzel, currywurst, or leberkaese whil;e on lunch at work. Where are these masses when it comes to supporting local restaurants?? Just another bitter experience for me with these lame events. There was a Dimpflmeier table with maybe 6 loaves of bread. They had a bouncy castle though!

I haven't attended this before but there's Oktoberfest coming up at Ontario Place, Sept 26-28.

Groundhog Day is so tired and played out.
Toronto could use something of its own that is more urban and contemporary.
Bring on Raccoon Day ! ?

There is a Toronto Wildlife Centre at Downsview Park that has fund raising events, and apparently has been looking to build a much-needed new facility. Maybe they could charge a small $5 admission for a Raccoon Day Fest. I would pay $5 to see which garbage bin would be chosen by Downsview Derrick. ?

Last edited:
Yes - I have no affinity for the game, but once the kids were obsessed, a little lightbulb went off in my head, and I thought, "that's easy to do, and CHEAP!"

It worked brilliantly.

OK, now I'm confused. I thought it was something from before my time but now that you bring up the fact that it's something your kids like, it is I who feels 40. ?

Back