8 May 2010 from OCAD U:

dsc03560zn.jpg

another really cool angle urbandreamer! Never seen it from there before!! The balconies look really nice and the mechanical box is sorta coming along! This photo really makes me remember how green festival looked in its renders! I guess renders never really stay true to their word :D

another really cool angle urbandreamer! Never seen it from there before!! The balconies look really nice and the mechanical box is sorta coming along! This photo really makes me remember how green festival looked in its renders! I guess renders never really stay true to their word :D

The roof lightbox is yet to come.....right?:confused:

It looks like it's being built on the north west corner, instead of the south east. Not sure what's going on there.

It looks like it's being built on the north west corner, instead of the south east. Not sure what's going on there.

Yeah i dont know, from looking at this pic it looks like they still have to build a 5-6 storey structure on the east side of the building roof.....unless there has been some cheapening.

BellLightbox.jpg

http://www.festivaltower.com/index2.html

Last edited:
you can't really tell if there has been a "cheapening" based on renderings. these renderings are artists' interpretations after all. moreover, the height and dynamism of buildings in these things are always exaggerated because of the extreme perspective. i suspect the box portion will indeed be built, but that's all it will be: a box.

Yeah i dont know, from looking at this pic it looks like they still have to build a 5-6 storey structure on the east side of the building roof.....unless there has been some cheapening.

BellLightbox.jpg

http://www.festivaltower.com/index2.html

I dont think there is any "cheapening" happening, a term that doesn't really describe a real process that is occuring, and rather has to do with urban land economics and development economics. That aside, I believe all that is on the roof so far is the mechanical area on the north west corner and the lightbox still is to be built on the south east. Just a guess...

I suspect this will be built with steel as well, concrete wouldn't make sense. It'll probably go up very last, like Ritz's slant.

The roof lightbox is yet to come.....right?:confused:

what you guys are seeing on the north west corner is most likely a mechanical area that will be mostly hidden once the actual lightbox is built at the top... (as seen in the model pictures posted above)

I'm hoping the lightbox will add some decent height to the building (buts its hard to tell because all the renders are blown out of proportion!)

I'd never seen the north west view of the tower before, so I had no idea that's what it looked like. Now we know it's just mechanical, and the lit up portion has yet to start. Thanks for posting the pics of the model.

^Here's a view of the NW corner of the tower, take 8 May 2010 from the gorgeous stairwell at 80 Spadina--check out the gorgeous paintings by local hotshot Michael Adamson and the colourful and painterly canvases by Cynthia Chapman at 80 Spadina's Moore Gallery on show now!

dsc03597b.jpg

(And a rare rear view of the Templar Hotel.)

Oops, I actually took this from the stairwell at 401 Richmond!

Last edited:
what you guys are seeing on the north west corner is most likely a mechanical area that will be mostly hidden once the actual lightbox is built at the top... (as seen in the model pictures posted above)

I'm hoping the lightbox will add some decent height to the building (buts its hard to tell because all the renders are blown out of proportion!)

Judging by the model it'll add about the equivalent of four floors in height.

Back