I hate that HYATT building so much. It just sticks out in the worst of ways.

It was even worse when it was under construction. It was the only tall building in its neighbourhood at the time, and with its puke green insulation, it stuck out like a (heavily infected, even gangrenous) sore thumb.

^ Try as I might, I've never been able to bring myself to hate it. There's nothing else like it in Toronto.

Add a Chrysler Building-inspired shaft in the centre and I'm okay with the present building as a base. And, no, I don't mean a NY Towers type of design. I'm thinking of something much better conceived and executed.

by me

sany0944.jpg

is it me, or did the mechanical box get a little higher??? ^^^ it looks great! Adds some nice height too :D

Man, you have been busy - thx for all the updates, UD!

at street level this building is one giant mess. I do like the tower and the giant "lightbox" at the top of the building.

The tower is nice but the podium isn't. In their search for clean lines, too many architects have completely forgotten how to build an engaging streetscape. Vertical design elements tend to be much better than horizontal. The scenery needs to be constantly changing for pedestrians - it's been referred to as the 20 foot rhythm. Long blank walls don't cut it, even if they're made of glass.

Now that they've taken the hoarding down the base seems a lot less imposing to me. The large expanse of glass and the canopy will make the entrance very permeable and inviting. Once the finishing touches are done I'm sure this building will shine.

The tower is nice but the podium isn't. In their search for clean lines, too many architects have completely forgotten how to build an engaging streetscape. Vertical design elements tend to be much better than horizontal. The scenery needs to be constantly changing for pedestrians - it's been referred to as the 20 foot rhythm. Long blank walls don't cut it, even if they're made of glass.

Good point. I like the podium better than the tower, but I hope a lot of the little details are cleaned up before it opens.

For me this is still one of the most overrated projects in the city (as much as I'd like it to be a success).

Back