^Maybe it'll fall into the open hole that blue sign is warning us against

It doesn't need to be dynamited. It needs to be gently lifted up to reveal the jell-o cake inside.

I don't hate the Holiday Inn.

It's not my favourite, but it's just something different... in a good way.

I think the Holiday Inn would like fine if it were reclad in a blue glassy cladding or anything non-white, non-matte.

As more and more 'Toronto' neo-modern buildings fill in the streetscapes the pomo - or whatever the Holiday Inn is - doesn't look so bad anymore.

I was just thinking that the parking lot where the Festival Centre is going be located is quite expansive and actually covers an entire city block: King to Adelaide and John to Widmer.

Now, the Festival Centre is going to be located on the southern half of the parking lot, so what is going to happen to the the northern half? That is a sizable chunk of land..

Re: Soho Sq.- think its a great idea and have often wondered if this isn't the plan anyways? However, I would build a few new buildings- one lining the old Bamboo wall: same height but like a narrow arcade or galleria building, which has massive glass doors facing the square and which roll open depending on temperatures/weather etc.

A building should also line the back as well along Bulwer St., but not a solid block- it could be split into angled alleyways which connect the square with the street behind..

Not sure, but some ideas..thanks for the constructions pix.

p5

Despite all sensibility telling me that it's a crap, I've never really minded the holiday inn. Perhaps because it's in the entertainment district and a bit of gaudiness is expected. It'll be the rude crude neighbour to the refined and proper festival tower.

What is this 'soho square'?

The NW corner of the TIFF lot is approved for another condo, I believe, 30 or so stories.

The Holiday Inn, whatever its aesthetic crimes, is one of Toronto's best post-WWII hotel in terms of how it treats the street. Think of Sutton Place, the Harbour Castle, the Delta Chelsea, the Four Seasons Yorkville, and others, they all favour cars over pedestrians and create environments to walk past that are unpleasant, if not downright dangerous. The Holiday Inn, with its numerous entrances to various businesses and the hotel, and it's lack of pandering to cars, is superior to all of those and many others.

Its like the Marriott on Bay, just south of Dundas. I feel like there is always a taxi ready to run you down, and it has little impact on the street except to contribute to the lifelessness.

Hokiday Inn I can handle, the Sheraton is not only ugly, but looks run down.

So we can agree that the Holiday Inn needs a polishing and the Sheraton needs to be dry-cleaned.

I got mail on Friday from the good folks at Festival Tower, telling me that final touches are being applied to the suite designs, and that...

suites will range in size from approxiamtely 500 square feet upwards

and that they will be priced

from the $300,000s to about $2.3 Mil or so.

That makes the smallest suite at least $600 per square foot.

Yipes. I think I'm bowing out...

Back