Ah, yes, Soho Square. I fantasise about a nice fountain, benches, wrought iron fencing and street vendors... that would be cool.

Every time I walk by that stretch of Queen I can't help but think that a Soho Square would unquestionably be the one square that would truly work in this city. Lots of sidewalk cafes around the edge, trees and fountains, and lots of street entertainers. The crowds - and interesting ones at that - are already a given.

Re: Soho Square. I concur. It's a natural, and I'd like to see it happen. Jane Jacobs Square? It would be singularly appropriate. Anybody know who owns that land?

Re: Festival Tower. Just as a point of clarification - both the lower centre itself and the condo tower will be built at once, correct? Or is there a possibility of the Centre itself happening with a delayed tower. That doesn't seem likely.

Archivistower:

AFAIK, it's all a go, all at once. So many people are registered on th condo shopping list that they have no concerns about selling the building out. The sales centre is being assembled on an Adelaide parking lot just north of the construction site now.

Apparently 2007 will be spent excavating the hole and the bringing the building up to grade level, 2008 will be bringing it to it's full height, and 2009 will see it being finished off inside. They want to have the centre operating by the summer of 2009 so that it is fully ready for the festival that fall. I imagine that occupancy of the lower floor residential units would be concurrent with that.

film-centre buff 42

The Colborne site was once in the running for the new archives building that was eventually awarded to York University, so I would imagine there will be other plans afoot before long.

You're thinking out loud blixa. What makes you hate soft and pleasant Dalton?

If this is actually going forward, This project, together with the supposedly under construction film studio, will put Toronto back on top of the world film stage. I think it is perhaps destined to be the most popular of the new cultural venues in this city.

Some recent pics of the site...

fest1.JPG

fest2.JPG

fest3.JPG

fest4.JPG

fest5.JPG

Great pics.. thanks for the update... Looks like construciton really is a go!!!

Great to see another important cultural facility finally getting the green light. Quite thrilling to see this parking lot disappear as well.

Can someone please dynamite the Holiday Inn across the street? :hat That has to be the most disgusting looking building in the downtown core.

Back