Looks really sharp, and is it just me or does this particular rendering make it appear as though the tower may flare out a bit on its way up?

^ No, I don't think that's the case. I don't remember what it's called but photographers use that technique often with architecture where the vertical lines remain perfectly straight vertically as apposed to tapering towards the vanishing point. I do this sometimes with my renderings as well. Just can't think of the word for it.

AoD: Interesting. I wasn't counting Mississauga, but I didn't know the New College residence was by them. I like that building quite a bit.

Awesome. That's definitely the report I was referring to. Thanks, AoD.

to answer the question about will it house a theatre - the first pic shows the box office inside.

JG

For some reason, this reminds me of Close Encounters of the 3rd Kind...

fc1.jpg

^ Scarberian: Is this the latest rendering of the Festival Tower? Is this view from King Street or from the rear? :p

It seems like the offspring of the Opera House and MaRS! Or at least a close cousin...

I'm so used to that parking lot being there, this is really going to change the feel of this stretch of King. Surface parking will soon be a rare commodity on King W. With this and Hudson, the bigger ones are already gone.

Still the lot immediately north of Le Germain, as well as the (small) one next to the Royal Alex.

But will be very happy to see this lot go--it is one of the worst open lots in downtown, I think. The TIFF centre will go a long way toward making King feel more complete.

"Is this view from King Street or from the rear?"

Actually it's a view from inside the Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center...I just thought the wall tiles were a decent match to Festival's windows.

Hmm. Not to be snarky, but for those asking about cinemas in the centre (and those answering), all you had to do was read the two stories reprinted from the Star and Globe earlier in this thread to find the answers. (Would it make any sense to spend all that money and not put cinemas in?)

The Festival Centre will contain:
548-seat Cinema 1 (comparison: Varsity 8 has 580 seats)
358-seat Cinema 2 (comparison: Cumberland 3 has 319 seats)
250-seat Cinema 3 (comparison: Varsity 3 has 235 seats)
153-seat Cinema 4 (comparison: Varsity 4 has 161 seats)
80-seat Cinema 5 (comparison: Varsity 6 has 125 seats, so this one's small)

Back