Interestingly, it mentions that the Centre and Tower will be clad in precast treated to resemble limestone (I was curious after seeing the renderings, as limestone is an expensive cladding for a cultural project that is presently short of funds). If the cladding on the Minto Midtown towers is any indication, I am not at all fearful of this type of precast.

Oh, and a Snow piece of art, just makes this fantastic project even better. A great cultural piece of architecture, innovative public art with a sleek and tall tower, all of which replaces a parking lot in an exciting area of town: near perfection.

I’m a little disappointed that the base will be clad in pre-cast. I was hoping that a project of this magnitude could squeeze a little more out of the budget for quality materials (hey the Gardiner and Mars did it). I’m not crazy about the design of the tower either, looks too similar to other projects around the city.

^I agree. One could imagine a project that would draw a little more attention to itself.

If giving Michael Snow control over the branding possibilities of the illuminated rooftop doesn't draw attention to this prominent tower nothing will.

An illuminated rooftop in Toronto means a turned off illumination - particularly on a 40+ storey tower.

Event

Did anyone attend the event on September 8? Was more information regarding the tower released?

Re: Event

me and my gf were in the area today and i noticed a billboard with rendering at the site.

I attended the September 8th event at Roy Thomson Hall.

They plied us with nibbly things and drinks - notably various champagne cocktails - and told us that
1) Shovels will be in the ground for the centre in January, and
2) Sales for the condos will commence in March.

I have been joking with friends that every time they've opened their mouths over the last three and a half years, that the sales office's opening gets moved 6 months into the future... and they certainly didn't prove me wrong on the 8th.

They also mentioned that a significant artist had been contracted to create public art for the centre, but they were keeping his name a secret. I subsequently felt compelled to tell a few people that the artist was Michael Snow, and that it's not a secret.

There was an announcement that they were stressing was going to blow our minds, and when then made it, they laid their egg: purchasers would get 2 tickets to each of 3 screenings during the festival. "We assure you that the Festival has never done anything like this before!" Thank goodness I had put away a number of those champagne cocktails by that point - I am typically a happy drunk - as that was an insultingly paltry offer. I can tell you that potential purchasers could not care less about 6 free festival tickets: what they want is the privelege of skipping the festival's annual ticket lottery.

One woman I spoke with told me that she was disappointed that the new renderings did not make the tower look any more interesting than the original ones. She is of the opinion that the design looks dated now, and that curves are what she considers current. She is moving into The Met before Festival Tower.

All in all, it was fun little soiree, but rather disappointing in regards to certain details. I plan to let the Festival know what I think of their crummy ticket offer...

So, one more post and I'm a Senior Forum Member? Hmm...

^
Life-changing only if you notice, I guess. I just noticed I must have passed the 1000 mark a few weeks ago.

^ You might not have noticed. But for some reason, I suddenly started taking you seriously two Thursdays ago.

It's disappointing that it kicks in at post 1,001. You get all wound up for 1,000...

I’m a little disappointed that the base will be clad in pre-cast. I was hoping that a project of this magnitude could squeeze a little more out of the budget for quality materials (hey the Gardiner and Mars did it). I’m not crazy about the design of the tower either, looks too similar to other projects around the city.

I agree. Considering the importance of this project and what the Film Fest means to the city, quality materials should be a must.

I also agree that the condo tower is pretty standard looking.

I think my 1000th post was giving ganjavih's Methusalean Metropolis thread the Lazarus treatment after several months absence.

Back