by me

sany1564.jpg

nice shot by Jasonzed at SSC....

20091220043.jpg

oooo!

This building looks really different from behind!... It looks like the structure just sprang up out of a parking lot with no huge footprint! (at least that's what it looks like! lol)

This parking lot needs to get filled up with the proposals proposed in the lot!

good stuff :)

I'm not sure if anyone else has made this observation already, but I'll go for it anyways.
John street has the potential to become a really special street in the downtowns west end. When you add together, the Rogers Centre and the AGO at either end, the Festival Tower, the CBC Building, the Scotia Bank theatre, the Much Music building, along with all the other condominium projects expected within the next 5 years or so, it should end up being a really spectacular/lively street in the not so distant future.

I'm not sure if anyone else has made this observation already, but I'll go for it anyways.
John street has the potential to become a really special street in the downtowns west end. When you add together, the Rogers Centre and the AGO at either end, the Festival Tower, the CBC Building, the Scotia Bank theatre, the Much Music building, along with all the other condominium projects expected within the next 5 years or so, it should end up being a really spectacular/lively street in the not so distant future.

Might pedestrianization be sensible?

It is too me! We could use a few good pedestrian areas.

Correction: we could use any pedestrian areas... How many do we have now? The Distillery district? Can't think of any more. I'd love to have a street that's just for pedestrians, with funky retail, cafes and restaurants lining it. The Ent. District seems like the perfect place for it.

most experiments with pedestrian only streets have actually hurt the vibrancy of those areas, at least that is what I remember from planning theory.

Given that John Street runs between a number of busier arteries, and that a number of restaurants, pubs and stores front onto it, I think it would be quite viable as a pedestrian-only route.

Regarding vibrancy, if it means just closing the street to traffic, then it might inhibit activity. However, if the street has some attractions around it and on it, it could not only be vibrant, but even be a greater draw for more people to come visit.

Imagine having a large outdoor bistro and bar smack in the middle of one part of John Street in the summer, or even an outdoor winter cafe? Or how about some nice art displays, live performances, outdoor film-showings or small street festivals from time to time? Such a pedestrian-only street would even be perfect for some of the film fest hoopla.

uugh....the balconies have such a cheapening effect on this one like it has on many others like MLS, Casa, X..heck even Success Tower just doesnt feel right with bland ugly balconies that make the building look fatter than it actually is

I find the balconies and glass the best thing about the tower portion of the project.

I too like the balcony and the square-shaped railing brackets/anchors, and your photo illustrates that detail nicely ...

but I'm not particularly impressed by the glass colour + tower's window treatment though

Last edited:

Back