There was lotsa hype on UT and elsewhere about the fact Mod D was retaining so much of the old buildings...looks like it may not happen to such a great extent?

http://www.toronto.ca/planning/pdf/cofa_tey_agenda_26jan11.pdf

20. 606-618 YONGE ST.,5-9 ST. JOSEPH ST., 11,19 & 25 ST. NICHOLAS ST.
File Number: A0914/10TEY Zoning Site Specific By-law 1201-
2009 Mixed-Use Area (PPR)
Owner(s): 5 ST JOSEPH DEVELOPMENT
LTD.[
Ward: Toronto Centre-Rosedale (27)
Agent: DIAMONDCORP
Property Address: 606-618 YONGE ST.,5-9 ST.
JOSEPH ST., 11,19 & 25 ST.
NICHOLAS ST.
Community: Toronto
Legal Description: PLAN D3 PT LOT 19 RP 63R2048 PARTS 1 AND 2

PURPOSE OF THE APPLICATION:
To modify the redevelopment plan approved under Site Specific By-law 1201-2009 for the construction of a
mixed-use building containing residential and commercial uses, by: adjusting the height of the tower and
podium; altering the parking supply; and reducing the depth of the main floor retail space, along the St. Nicholas
frontage.
REQUESTED VARIANCE(S) TO THE ZONING BY-LAW:
1. Section 4(e), Site Specific By-law 1201-2009
Portions of the proposed building will exceed the heights as indicated on Map 2.
2. Section 8(3) Part XI 2(ii), By-law 438-86
The minimum required main floor depth is 7.5 m.
The main floor retail space will range in depth, as follows: 5.3 m, 6.0 m and 7.4 m.
3. Section 4(5)(b), By-law 438-86
The minimum required number of parking spaces to be provided is 294 (264 tenant spaces and 30
visitor spaces).
In this case, 200 parking spaces will be provided (190 tenant spaces and 10 visitor spaces).

^Decreasing depth of the Yonge St retail means more of the alley side part of the old buildings are coming down perhaps?

Increasing podium height could mean more of the old building is being destroyed?

Wonder how many more floors they're asking for--50s here makes sense...?

^Decreasing depth of the Yonge St retail means more of the alley side part of the old buildings are coming down perhaps?

Increasing podium height could mean more of the old building is being destroyed?

It says reducing depth along st. Nick frontage no?

How prime is Yonge St. retail these days? I know it seems like a no-brainer, but there doesn't seem to be any rush by retailers to actually locate on that street. Is it lack of large and available floorplates, lack of parking, an unwillingness to locate near some of the scuzzier stores, or some combination of the above?

I think it's still pretty much in demand. I'm going by memory here but I can only think of 4 vacancies on the strip between Bloor & Wellesley. Once this project is finished and the retail is refurbished I don't think they'll have any trouble renting it.

I think it's still pretty much in demand. I'm going by memory here but I can only think of 4 vacancies on the strip between Bloor & Wellesley. Once this project is finished and the retail is refurbished I don't think they'll have any trouble renting it.

Vacancies on Yonge between Bloor and Dundas increase and decrease all the time ... there's never too much for lease i.e. at some points in a given year there maybe 20+ properties and others only 10 or so. I think it's in demand but a lot of people make there judgments based on the type of retail that demonates the area i.e. lower end for the mostart. Toward Bloor it's not quite like that - and same hoes toward Dundas but the middle area in particular.

Doesn't look like they're asking for additional floors since they'd need a gross floor area variance as well to add full storeys. The variance is probably just to increase the tower by a few metres.

Section 4(5)(b), By-law 438-86 The minimum required number of parking spaces to be provided is 294 (264 tenant spaces and 30 visitor spaces). In this case, 200 parking spaces will be provided (190 tenant spaces and 10 visitor spaces).

Are they requesting more or less parking spaces here??

As I walked by on Yonge, Pizzaville and Pita Q are vacated, the signs still up though. The Internet cafe is still in operation, and the surplus store is winding everything down.

Back