There is no satisfying UT. I find no tackiness at all. These type of restorations add tremendous value to the area.

There is no satisfying UT. I find no tackiness at all. These type of restorations add tremendous value to the area.

It's not tacky and you are right. Urban Dreamer trolls all the time, It's annoying but I try to ignore it. He likes aA....He likes aA. Period. It's annoying when one's cognitive bias's are so extreme. He does sometimes have information regarding new developments early on in the process, but it would be nice if he didn't state that stuff as fact without a source.

I think this development is one of the concepts we should be very proud of in Toronto. MOD is doing some excellent work with this and Massey Tower.

Honestly the number of sensitive souls on UT is even more annoying. I mean, urbandreamer has been like this forever. I got mad when I first started browsing this forum but I got over it. tbh I actually enjoy what he writes, even when ridiculous, precisely because of the whiny, sensitive souls who jump to bitch and moan about the ridiculous statements he makes.

As for the restorations, I find the corner building does give off a bit of a Disney-tacky vibe. It really is just too clean. The rest are fine and will lose their overly clean sheen with businesses and a short amount of time but the corner building does have a weirdly new-old vibe. Doesn't take away from ERA and MOD's work here of course but god forbid one should criticize a developer on UT and hurt some poor user's feelings.

It's silly to complain about these restorations. The buildings look like actual buildings instead of slums bound to be wrecked or collapse on their own. In their restored state, they're excellent spaces for commerce and housing. They've been neglected for so long that we've accepted the neglect as how they're supposed to look. But you can't accept building neglect as a norm unless an area is lacking in economic vitality.

It's silly to complain about these restorations. The buildings look like actual buildings instead of slums bound to be wrecked or collapse on their own. In their restored state, they're excellent spaces for commerce and housing. They've been neglected for so long that we've accepted the neglect as how they're supposed to look. But you can't accept building neglect as a norm unless an area is lacking in economic vitality.

Yes but this is Urban Toronto where people love our third world public realm of overhead electrical wires, dilapidated buildings, crumbling sidewalks and streetcar poles that look ready to topple over. All those things you would expect in poverty stricken countries are much loved by many on this site. How else would we recognize the generic look of our city if it wasn't for the dilapidated look of our public spaces? Get with the program! Hey, it saves taxes too and there is nothing that tightwad Torontonians love more than that. (well, besides the Ford family, of course)

Yes but this is Urban Toronto where people love our third world public realm of overhead electrical wires, dilapidated buildings, crumbling sidewalks and streetcar poles that look ready to topple over. All those things you would expect in poverty stricken countries are much loved by many on this site. How else would we recognize the generic look of our city if it wasn't for the dilapidated look of our public spaces? Get with the program! Hey, it saves taxes too and there is nothing that tightwad Torontonians love more than that. (well, besides the Ford family, of course)

That you're lumping together those who would prefer Yonge Street remain shabby with Ford Nation types seems odd to me. I'd think that the latter would be the first to call for whole cloth demolition of those dilapidated blocks on Yonge rather than maintaining the grime-chic look.

Yes but this is Urban Toronto where people love our third world public realm of overhead electrical wires, dilapidated buildings, crumbling sidewalks and streetcar poles that look ready to topple over.

I don't know if you're joking, but most of us complain endlessly about those things.

I think UD is the most successful troll on this forum and I've always wondered why moderators turn a blind eye to his hijinks. That post up there is vintage UD: drop a controversial opinion into a thread, no interesting insights, nothing to back it up, just an empty statement he knows will annoy a large number of people... then disappear and watch the thread burn. Lie back for a week or two, then show up in another thread and repeat. Works every time.

I think UD is the most successful troll on this forum and I've always wondered why moderators turn a blind eye to his hijinks. That post up there is vintage UD: drop a controversial opinion into a thread, no interesting insights, nothing to back it up, just an empty statement he knows will annoy a large number of people... then disappear and watch the thread burn. Lie back for a week or two, then show up in another thread and repeat. Works every time.

so true.

its not UD's comments that bother me... what really gets me are the awful black edged time stamped filtered photo's he(?) posts. For someone with such self proclaimed high taste those are some pretty low brow photos.

but hey whatever, if everyone had the same opinion things would get pretty dull.

Taking crappy photos on crappy days can make even the most stellar building look like crap. Heck, most of us don't look well on an dreary day in winter.

Taking crappy photos on crappy days can make even the most stellar building look like crap. Heck, most of us don't look well on an dreary day in winter.

Speak for yourself! *grin*

Do not get me wrong - I applaud the renos. However, like any "work," it takes time to look natch.

College park, that I can understand. So if that is what UD meant then sure, I agree actually. I personally like old buildings to show their age. I know in this case it was necessary, and they did a great job. But they do look like replicas right now.

There's a difference between "patina", in the sense of the natural aging of brick and copper, and the disfigurement which characterizes most of Yonge's heritage buildings.

2011:

Vacant-stores-at-Five-Condos-site-viewed-from-Yonge-at-Dundonald-April-9-2011-IMG_4825.jpg

2015:

Fiveheritage.jpg

Attachments

• Vacant-stores-at-Five-Condos-site-viewed-from-Yonge-at-Dundonald-April-9-2011-IMG_4825.jpg
    Vacant-stores-at-Five-Condos-site-viewed-from-Yonge-at-Dundonald-April-9-2011-IMG_4825.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 804
  • Fiveheritage.jpg
    Fiveheritage.jpg
    876.9 KB · Views: 822
If that's Disney, please, bring on more Disney!

Back