Cleanliness is next to godliness.

4587192256_a87ca2c4b9_b.jpg

UrbanToronto was at Fly on Tuesday, May 11 for the ceremonial groundbreaking ceremony.

FlyRender.jpg

The event, attended by Empire Communities representatives as well as purchasers of the units in Fly, celebrated the decision to relaunch the building after the worst of the recent recession had passed. Empire were the first to test the waters to see if the market had turned for the better again, and this event attested that they were right.

FlyParty.jpg

FlyModel.jpg

Stephanie Lane, head of Empire's high rise sales led off the festivities:

FlySteph.jpg

Empire Communities President Daniel Guizzetti said a few words:

FlyPrez750.jpg

This is Fly's future site, a parking lot just west of Element condo's blank wall on Front Street. UrbanToronto far prefers buildings over surface parking lots and blank walls!

FlySitepano750.jpg

A tent was set up to protect the ceremonial groundbreaking from the rain.

FlyTent.jpg

On hand with shovels were Empire executives Rick Wolfe, Stanley Neinstein, Andrew Guizzetti, Paul Golini Sr., Daniel Guizzetti, Paul Golini Jr. and Enrico Leva.

FlyShovels.jpg

Good coverage. I was wondering what the tents were for when I walked past this morning, and as usual I get to my desk and Urban Toronto has the answer.

Where the heck will the ginos and co. park their souped up Cavaliers and Honda's now?

Seriously speaking.... I really think the city should have insisted that these buildings (this one and 300 Front) have some sort of public parking component in their underground garage. Ignoring the people that come to party, these parking lots were always packed with people going to conventions at the convention centre... tourists going to the cn tower, and people going to jays games.

Now that this lot and the one at 300 front are gone, there's only the single (large) parking lot left at the corner of front/spadina, and now they are free to charge whatever they want, since there's no competition nearby anymore. I've noticed that since the Fly parking lot and 300 front were barricaded off, the lot I'm refering to has taken down their price sign.. no doubt they are gouging people now.

With the Jays attendance being down this year.. all the suburban families have started throwing in their $0.02 about how they would like to go to a game, but driving downtown and then finding parking is such a hassle for them. With the loss of all these lots, plus the fact that the gardiner is closed this weekend, I'm quite amazed the Jays managed to draw 25,000+ this weekend...

Doesn't bother me in the slightest if the last few remaining surface lot start gouging people. That is what you are talking about, right? RBC and Ritz have added additional underground spaces not that I've ever had problems finding parking in Simcoe Place, Metro Hall, 330 Front and of course the convention centre.

+1

The addition of the large underground parking lots under Ritz/RBC have more than replaced the loss of those surface lots. Not to mention Telus and MLS have parking, plus parking at the Sobey's at Montage, and the convention centre, lots on QQ, Bank of America, Metro Hall. There is an obscene amount of parking within a 5-10 minute walk of the skydome, especially on the weekend when most of those lots are pretty empty. And on game days all of those lots have sandwhich boards up advertising their existance.

I think the issue is that the folks from the 905 need to get over their fear of driving underground to park. If people are getting gouged by surface lots it's their own fault.

Last edited:
Although I know many people who have gotten lost in the underground parking labyrinth. It's quite amusing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Absolutely no action on this site for the last 2 and a half months. Any reason for the hold up?

Thanks for that update. I was going to post a pic that showed the only action in the last two months was the weed growth on the pile of ceremonial dirt.

What a waste of a couple of months, they should have kept the parking lot open.

Seriously speaking.... I really think the city should have insisted that these buildings (this one and 300 Front) have some sort of public parking component in their underground garage. Ignoring the people that come to party, these parking lots were always packed with people going to conventions at the convention centre... tourists going to the cn tower, and people going to jays games...

I was wondering that too.
While parking lots are noting pretty to look at and condos are minimizing parking spaces for their residents, I had a thought that some of the larger condos could provide some public paid parking and make some money for the HOA. I understand that providing a seperate entry for public parking could be expensive plus the associated cost with public parking (maintenance, parking attendant/kiosk, etc.), but as public parking becomes more scarce it will become more expensive.

There is the flipside as well. Parking is a privilidge not a right, and having less public parking will encourage people to take alternate means of transportation. This is metropolitan way of living and is the reason why parking in some big cities are so expensive ($100/day in central Manhattan, for example).

Back