June 19
5852233465_b1ceab84ab_b.jpg

5852788462_5d6e929d0a_b.jpg

5852235815_55462b3b15_b.jpg

5852763360_656e591c1f_b.jpg

5852210717_583ef07c19_b.jpg

5852211745_24d94f6ffc_b.jpg

nice interview,
and i remember him saying that TD Centre is his favorite, i can respect that choice, but the only problem i see in the TD centre, that it is not unique in the sense that there are twins of Mies buildings found all over the place, i find that takes away from it's greatness as a single complex.... but still amazing buildings nonetheless.

I think many including myself would consider this a failure if the fins are scrapped. cheaping out is unacceptable considering this should be Four Seasons signature international project.

What a monster!! It stands out from the skyline like no other building (except maybe the CN Tower). It's just sooo tall compared to its surroundings. Wow. And I'm amazed that it's STILL going higher! Looks like they're doing the mechanical work now. It's gotta be closed to done now!

I heard the person who bought the penthouse from four season's hotel is a Hong Kong businessman, I noticed today when I was passing near the building two black limousine getting off by three Chines men dressing black suit and someone were met them at south side of the buiding and introducing them the building as he was giving them a construction helmet. I don't know if one of those guy is the one who bought the penthouse

I think many including myself would consider this a failure if the fins are scrapped. cheaping out is unacceptable considering this should be Four Seasons signature international project.

I wouldn't say it would be a complete failure, as it is still a beautiful building. However, I would be very disappointed.

I also really hope they keep those fins...its the right thing to do and a fitting crown on a wonderful tower!

nice interview,
and i remember him saying that TD Centre is his favorite, i can respect that choice, but the only problem i see in the TD centre, that it is not unique in the sense that there are twins of Mies buildings found all over the place, i find that takes away from it's greatness as a single complex.... but still amazing buildings nonetheless.

There are many attempted copies of Mies towers all over the place too*, but that only serves to reinforce the quality of the originals. I think one of the cleverest and most successful "follow-ups" to a Mies is also here in Toronto - Pei's Commerce Court tower, which adopts the same proportions but changes the colour, texture and orientation from that of the TD buildings. When built, it rather upstaged them on the skyline. Our TD Centre was more of a summation of Mies's career than a new direction to it, though the placement of the towers and pavilion on the site ( he tried several versions ) is unique. When you approach the complex from the east, for instance, the banking pavilion hides the great plaza from view until you're almost upon it. Toronto architects had, of course, been designing nicely proportioned bank buildings in the same austere Modernist aesthetic for a decade or more before the TD was built, albeit on a much smaller scale.

*aA's anorexic point towers are not without influence, locally, either.

It's the McLennan building at UofT. It houses the department of physics. The observatories on the roof are actually working observatories, with telescopes. When I went to camp UofT many, many years ago, we used the telescopes to map sunspots on paper!

It's the McLennan building at UofT. It houses the department of physics. The observatories on the roof are actually working observatories, with telescopes. When I went to camp UofT many, many years ago, we used the telescopes to map sunspots on paper!

Ah okay I figured it was something like that. We have one of those on the Physics building here at UW, though the building isn't quite as tall!

Back