News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

i prefer Extreme Fitness (generally, nicer girls ;) )

good facilies and equipment .... however, be fore-warned of high pressure sales tactics to get you to sign up for expensive long term memberships.

I work at Totum Life Science, so my vote is for them :) But seriously, it's quite a good gym. Lots of classes, good location (King and Spadina), good equipment, clean, rarely crowded, not too expensive (current deal is $999 for a year). Also, no pressurized sales tactics, and not populated by meatheads with douchebeards, like most Extremes.

The YMCA on Grosvenor Street and Goodlife in the Manulife Centre, both have pools too.

Goodlife is the biggest chain with gyms everywhere.. and you can use any gym in the chain after you sign up.

Pros: cheap - I pay about 1.50/day, cheerful staff everywhere.

Cons: crowded at peak times (5 - 7 pm after work, Saturday mornings). Gross showers and change rooms - directly related to 'Pros' above.:)

It depends on what you're seeking.

If you want a place with a pool and options for playing sports - go with a YMCA. Its a bit steep, but there's a wide variety of stuff to do.

For strictly weights - I train at Yonge Street Fitness (yonge/isabella). Minimal number of machines and they don't have the new trendy stuff with LCD screens on them and so forth. Irrelevant, as machine training is an entire waste of time.

But, they do have two squat racks, a power rack, about 10 barbbell benches and dumbbells up to 90 (which is a bit small, but sufficies). I've never (really, never) had to wait for a bench or a rack; their cardio equipment is varied (they have stairmills: the only piece of cardio equipment that's worthwhile in my book).

Plus its cheap - about $50-60 a month, and there's a discount if you sign up multiple people.

Avoid, like the plague, any commercial/chain gym. They're overcrowded, and people go there to be seen, not to train.

Oh, yeah, and Cabbagetown boxing is a great place to box (redundant, sorry).

I work at Totum Life Science, so my vote is for them :) But seriously, it's quite a good gym. Lots of classes, good location (King and Spadina), good equipment, clean, rarely crowded, not too expensive (current deal is $999 for a year). Also, no pressurized sales tactics, and not populated by meatheads with douchebeards, like most Extremes.

$999 is not too expensive? What planet do you live on. While I agree that there are primpers at Extreme, the facilities are top notch with lots of machines, free weights, balls, classes of every kind and the change/showers are quite nice. The high pressure is definitely there, but if you can haggle well, you can get a membership for about $560/year. I did their two months promo for $18 (yep) and turned down all the other offers they made (and they kept coming back with better ones). The next day I got a phone call saying I could have a membership for $47/month. Not bad.

I regularly work out at the Extreme Fitness on Richmond. My membership is only $47.50. It's a very nice gym, and as some of you pointed out, a majority go there to watch and be seen. I also like the EF at Yonge/Dundas. There seems to be much more equipment and weights there.

Anyway, I find EF on Richmond generally crowded betwen 4-7pm. I usually go around 9 or 10pm when it's dead quiet.

I live on planet finance, marketing, advertising, law, and such and such. It is definitely not expensive on that planet.

I can't even begin to imagine what passes for lifting at a gym like that.

Let me guess - there's a predominance of machines, rubber coated dumbbells, swiss/bosu balls and people who don't lift real weight because they 'don't want to get bulky'.

This city needs more cheap gyms (read: a room with a concrete floor, squat racks, power racks, deadlift platforms, olympic lift stations and dumbbells up to 200 lbs) instead of places that cost a tonne and look nice.

Back