News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Let me guess - there's a predominance of machines, rubber coated dumbbells, swiss/bosu balls and people who don't lift real weight because they 'don't want to get bulky'.

Well, it's got the rubber coated dumbbells because it's catering to rubber coated dumbbells, if you get my drift

I can't even begin to imagine what passes for lifting at a gym like that.

Let me guess - there's a predominance of machines, rubber coated dumbbells, swiss/bosu balls and people who don't lift real weight because they 'don't want to get bulky'.

This city needs more cheap gyms (read: a room with a concrete floor, squat racks, power racks, deadlift platforms, olympic lift stations and dumbbells up to 200 lbs) instead of places that cost a tonne and look nice.

You're not too far off... I'm not going to get into it, considering I work there, but I come from a power-lifting background, which should give you an idea of what I would like in a gym (pretty much the same as you). I'd give my left arm for an O-lift platform. I've never been in a gym that has 200 lb dumbbells, though, the highest I've seen were 150s in my old gym in Guelph (which I could dumbbell row for a 1-rep max, lol).

You're not too far off... I'm not going to get into it, considering I work there, but I come from a power-lifting background, which should give you an idea of what I would like in a gym (pretty much the same as you). I'd give my left arm for an O-lift platform. I've never been in a gym that has 200 lb dumbbells, though, the highest I've seen were 150s in my old gym in Guelph (which I could dumbbell row for a 1-rep max, lol).

Biggest I've seen are 150s as well: a guy can dream though.

My spot now has only 90s (my only complaint).

On a bright side, I bet there's loads of good looking people at your gym though. Always a plus. Mine's got that if you're into dudes. I, however, am not into dudes and thus am stymied.

My old landlord was big into professional bodybuilding and had back issues of all the major magazines dating back to the 1980s - he gave me a stack of old MuscleMags a while back, and one from 1980 had an interview with a guy at Mack's gym, complete with pictures of the gym with Mack in the background. Mack looked the same as when I met him in 2006.

I only got to train there once, but it was pretty well what I define as a perfect gym.

On a bright side, I bet there's loads of good looking people at your gym though. Always a plus. Mine's got that if you're into dudes. I, however, am not into dudes and thus am stymied.

I'm not into dudes, and I'm not complaining about the scenery. :)

Well known fact that you can pull 10-15% more when there's pretty girls present. 25% when they're watching. Testosterone is a funny thing.

Yes, that's a scientific fact. Also, doing stuff that most people can't even think about, like one-handed pushups is apparently quite the "thing" for the ladies, according to some of my friends.

I've trained at most gyms in and around town. I hate gyms downtown, they are crowded by useless machines. They blare techno/dance music 24/7 and they are too expensive. I agree with an earlier post, we need more "simple" gyms. I don't need to watch TV when I train, I don't care if there is hot girls or guys around. Just gimme a gym where I can do squats and deadlifts in PEACE!

I've trained at most gyms in and around town. I hate gyms downtown, they are crowded by useless machines. They blare techno/dance music 24/7 and they are too expensive. I agree with an earlier post, we need more "simple" gyms. I don't need to watch TV when I train, I don't care if there is hot girls or guys around. Just gimme a gym where I can do squats and deadlifts in PEACE!

Good luck, and let me know when you find it.

Remember, people don't actually want to go to the gym to train. They want to go to say that they 'go to the gym' for an hour a day, when in reality they just want to have a membership so that they can 'start again any time'.

Meatheads like us who actually want to see gains and move hundreds of pounds of iron at once don't even rate.

Gyms make their money from people who sign up for a new-year's resolution and then come 3 times in the year. People who show up daily again don't even rate.

But, I'm sure you know all of this and I'm just ranting.

YSF is pretty good though, I assure you.

drone said:

Good luck, and let me know when you find it.

Remember, people don't actually want to go to the gym to train. They want to go to say that they 'go to the gym' for an hour a day, when in reality they just want to have a membership so that they can 'start again any time'.

lol ... why else do you think xtreme has been so popular.

nice shiny machines with tv monitors on each piece of equipment, in an environment designed by interior design firm II by IV.

For the really serious and those who have the money there is Laylor Performance Systems on Richmond. It is a real gym without all the machines.

That place looks great. But, it appears you have to train with a personal trainer at all times and drop 10k on a this.

1. I don't have 10k to drop on anything without wheels or a roof at this point.

2. I know as much or more about training as any guy who thinks he does as a result of a kinesiology program or a weekend PT course. I immensely doubt they'll be able to show me anything I don't know.

3. I really don't need someone to hold my hand and make sure that I show up and train hard. If you need that, you haven't properly set your goals up and are beyond helping IMO.

However, that place does look sick and as I've said, I'd love to train somewhere with a proper olympic lift setup.

I go to (read: have a membership at ;) ) Eclipse at the Yonge-Eglinton Centre.

For those looking for a simple, yet high quality, gym then Eclipse might be the one. I haven't been to many gyms, but when I was comparing with the Dunfield (now an Extreme Fitness so I expect it's better than it used to be) what sold me was the fact that it was smaller (though you never wait), lights are dim, good music/not blaring, and a generally nice crowd just going about their business.

Also they don't have any high pressure sales tactics. Whereas the guy at Dunfield gave me a 7 day pass that expired in 5 days and then told me that's so I can take advantage of the "deal" before then. Meanwhile, I already told him I was going to compare the Dunfield and Eclipse for a few weeks.

Anyway, Eclipse is a great gym... I should go! :p

Back