News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

2. I know as much or more about training as any guy who thinks he does as a result of a kinesiology program or a weekend PT course. I immensely doubt they'll be able to show me anything I don't know.

I've worked with Clance (the Mr. Laylor in question) for several years and unless you're a long-time strength and conditioning coach, he definitely can show you a thing or two. As could I. We do this for a living, meaning we study it constantly. I'm sure you're knowledgeable, but there are different levels of learning. There is a big difference between real experts like Clance and 19-year old wannabe actors who take the aforementioned PT course and become trainers.

Back in the day I used to do the practical interviews for people who wanted to work as trainers at my gym, so I know how low the bar is perceived to be. People applied who spent a couple of years working out, and thought they could train other people. Some (most) of these people didn't even know what the rotator cuff is, let alone name the four muscles and their origins, insertions and function. These people, whose faces I laughed in and told them to read an anatomy book, probably got hired a week later by a major chain.

2. I know as much or more about training as any guy who thinks he does as a result of a kinesiology program or a weekend PT course. I immensely doubt they'll be able to show me anything I don't know.

The staff has experience working with professional athletes. Many trainers have gone there for training. Are you are a professional body building coach? I would be surprised if they can't teach you something.

Good luck, and let me know when you find it.

Remember, people don't actually want to go to the gym to train. They want to go to say that they 'go to the gym' for an hour a day, when in reality they just want to have a membership so that they can 'start again any time'.

Meatheads like us who actually want to see gains and move hundreds of pounds of iron at once don't even rate.

Gyms make their money from people who sign up for a new-year's resolution and then come 3 times in the year. People who show up daily again don't even rate.

But, I'm sure you know all of this and I'm just ranting.

YSF is pretty good though, I assure you.

100% agree that YSF is one of the best gyms. My only prob is they open at 6. I gotta train at 5.

and with regards to training and the above posts. I agree, there's always something that someone can show you. But, it depends on your goals. My only goal is to be big and lean. I'm not interested in how to lift on a stabilization ball or make my abs look more cut. I want size and stength,and in my experience, there's only a few ways to do it...and I just rotate through them. It's fool proof

Last edited:
I've worked with Clance (the Mr. Laylor in question) for several years and unless you're a long-time strength and conditioning coach, he definitely can show you a thing or two. As could I. We do this for a living, meaning we study it constantly. I'm sure you're knowledgeable, but there are different levels of learning. There is a big difference between real experts like Clance and 19-year old wannabe actors who take the aforementioned PT course and become trainers.

Back in the day I used to do the practical interviews for people who wanted to work as trainers at my gym, so I know how low the bar is perceived to be. People applied who spent a couple of years working out, and thought they could train other people. Some (most) of these people didn't even know what the rotator cuff is, let alone name the four muscles and their origins, insertions and function. These people, whose faces I laughed in and told them to read an anatomy book, probably got hired a week later by a major chain.

Fair enough. I think I'm just biased by years of seeing pathetic personal trainers (although my gym has a couple of somewhat decent ones for a change at the moment).

One does tend to forget that there are actual strength/conditioning coaches in the city who know their onions.

Oy vey! My guess is they're targeting a very specific audience at the Power Club.

The AC at U of T (harbourd & Spadina) - but it's packed.

My experience, gym location is key.

If you have to trek far, either from Work or from home, you're less likely to go.

I always thought Totem would be more epensive than that, that's actually suprisingly a 'reasonable' price considering good life is selling member ships for 800 +

on another note... the gym at the Soho is by far the best I've seen in a condo complex.

On another note, why do sales reps at the gyms always try to pretend that you're getting a deal by not paying an 'initiation fee'? lol.

Google Maps shows it as the old location of Revolution Fitness, which closed down. They must have leased additional space as well, R.F. was definitely not 45,000 sq. ft. Might turn out nice, the newer Good Lifes are not half bad.

Goodlife seems to have really jacked up their prices since they snapped up some smaller clubs in the city. I work out at the one at Yonge/Finch. The club has a lot of modern equipment. All the machines have flat panel TVs. But over the last year the TVs have been breaking down, 1 or 2 treadmills always seem to be out of order, and the club has gotten really busy. 7:30 I could have my pick of treadmills. Now I have to sometimes wait. And what's up with clubs that always put in a bunch of never used stationary bikes but never enough treadmills?

Back