News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

I too have mused about this, but don't assume that this is sustainable. A heritage fleet substantial enough to serve a heavy-use attraction like the Islands would be expensive to create and maintain. The wear and tear on vintage equipment in that kind of heavy-duty service would overwhelm the resources of any heritage group I know of.

Places like Tampa run pseudo "heritage" trolleys and Disney runs its antique railways.... but they do it with modern purpose built equipment and full-size transit agency shops.

A couple of Witt cars or PCCs trundling up and down a track on the Islands would be charming and nostalgiac.... until a lineup formed, and then it would be bad news.

- Paul
Then use a modern one made up to look vintage? Doesn't seem that complicated, but I'm just imagining here.

Then use a modern one made up to look vintage? Doesn't seem that complicated, but I'm just imagining here.

That's what one would do. i'm sure people (other than transit purists here on UT maybe) would be fine with it.

The issue is, capacity and maintenance infrastructure. It's one thing to run a museum that runs on defined days and offers only the capacity that their attendance requires. It's another to run a service 7 days a week with an inherent promise to meet demand.

The GO/Wego service to Niagara is a good example of what can go wrong when you drop large numbers of people into a distribution network that is much more constrained. An Island trolley service would likely have to deliver at least half-hourly headway from 9 AM to 11 PM.... possibly much more. The arriving load queuing after arriving on one ferry would overwhelm the service. As would the crush when a thunderstorm rolls in and people are desperate for shelter.

The shop and mechanical force needed to keep that many vehicles on the road would be substantial, would need a spare parts inventory and full-time mechanical presence. Would the maintainers and operators be volunteers or paid employees? (I would venture, the latter)

Insurance and liability would be a thorny one. Likely the City would have to backstop a service that is offered to the public as similar to TTC or GO (next time you go to an operating rail or transit museum, read the fine print on the back of your ticket).

Lastly, what would one charge as a fare? Many would expect it to be affordable, especially in the context of a family with grandparents and kids all out for a day.

A museum on the Island charging a substantial fare and thus limiting ridership to those willing to pay, might be sustainable on pure economics. But the tension between whether it's there to be transportation infrastructure for all or just a privately operated attraction would generate a lot of debate, I'm sure.

- Paul

If we want to have transit vehicles on the islands that are electric, not a lot of use elsewhere, and soon to be an anachronism that will draw transit fans but not much love otherwise, I suggest transferring the TTC’s Proterra fleet to PF&R and let them contract with someone else to maintain them in a depot on the airport lands. There can be a competition in the city primary schools to come up with a jaunty livery, and then they can all be wrapped with Pizza Pizza advertising anyway.

Just get a fleet of these.

Or this, already in use in Canada.

Just get a fleet of these.

Or this, already in use in Canada.

Yeah but that doesn’t promote my hater agenda to get Proterra and/or BYD off the TTC fleet list so…

Back