Today:

20230728_133042.jpg

I find it interesting that three buildings with yellow accents (this, TMU's Daphne Cockwell Centre and Prime) lie more or less on the same E/W axis between Dundas and Gerrard. I'm sure it wasn't intentional, but intriguing nonetheless. Maybe the city should formally turn it into a 'yellow corridor' and mandate that all future buildings along the axis have significant yellow accents? ;)

Regarding the older patient wing from the 90’s, I spent a 1/2 year in that wing. Please leave it be. From riding the glass elevators, meeting celebrities, the arcade room, and the “chill” rooms jutting out over the cafeteria below, that hospital was always sad to leave as a kid, even after recovery.

Regarding the older patient wing from the 90’s, I spent a 1/2 year in that wing. Please leave it be. From riding the glass elevators, meeting celebrities, the arcade room, and the “chill” rooms jutting out over the cafeteria below, that hospital was always sad to leave as a kid, even after recovery.

I spent far too long there too, mainly in 8A. It wasn’t sad to leave for me, but I could not see myself having to endure in the old outpatient areas that were in the 1949-1973 wings. One of the outpatient clinics was there for a few years, and it was grim.

I remember those old clinics in the University building. The new addition was so light and airy in comparison, with your own personal washroom and a TV all to yourself. It felt luxurious to me as a kid.

I spent far too long there too, mainly in 8A. It wasn’t sad to leave for me, but I could not see myself having to endure in the old outpatient areas that were in the 1949-1973 wings. One of the outpatient clinics was there for a few years, and it was grim.

You were an 8A patient or a caregiver? Either way, I feel you. My daughter spent lots of time in 8A/8B. This new building was just a hole in the ground when she was first diagnosed, I watched it go up with her every day teaching her the different things they were constructing. It was the only way to pass the time.

I don't mind the Atrium, but it does need an update. I do find some of the balconies/railings a little constricting. We happened to be there during COVID so it already felt like you were in jail. If they can manage to brighten/open it up without taking away its charm, then it would be a win. But I agree, the old building is definitely "dungeon-esque" especially the basement. *shudder*

I hope whatever it was you had to deal with on 8A is over. ❤️

Just a few from Sept 29th, 2023:

DSC02624.jpg

The sun was at the right angle to showcase the rainbow effect of the stairwell:

DSC02625.jpg

DSC02626.jpg

A look at the street tree(s):

DSC02628.jpg

Above: Healthy but a bit undersized Nyssa Sylvatica or Black Gum tree. Not native to Toronto, but native to extreme southern Ontario and the south side of Lakes Ontario and Erie.

Nice fall colour on this one, reminiscent of sugar maple with a warm-toned orange'ish red. They're generally hardy here, but I'd be curious if they took the time to source the correct soil (acidic)

A borrowed pic to show the fall colour:

1696103282735.jpeg

Taken from: https://spectrees.s3-ap-southeast-2...a895bf/conversions/Nyssa-sylvatica2-small.jpg

Speaking of trees, the Honey Locust just to the south of this site have turned matching yellow:

DSC02629.jpg

DSC02630.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 16
Finally got around to do some up close shoot as I always saying I will do on the next trip when only a few blocks away. More up on my site.
53343337081_072dde36ba_b.jpg

53343786880_402965be56_b.jpg

53343661084_81dd783638_b.jpg

53343336696_2a2cb5357b_b.jpg

53343785995_73a2ef2624_b.jpg

53343560423_901c6f3f9b_b.jpg

53342452382_17dcf3e51a_b.jpg

Back