question for the people with more expertise....other than pleasing the union (which should not be discounted....labour relations are important) what advantages to HSR would there be in operating the LRT?

Everything I can think of relates to common training. For example, would an item lost of the LRT go someplace different than the bus? With the LRT driver isolated, fare enforcement, travel assistance (which bus route do they transfer on to get to X), etc. probably don't apply. LRT fare enforcement staff should definitely be HSR.

Strikes are a concern. The drivers on the private operator may strike at different times than HSR staff (see York Region for examples of this).

I suppose there are minor efficiencies around payroll/HR for staff under a single umbrella.

Not sure if this has been posted before or is new, but the Hurontario LRT account tweeted out this:

"A look at the livery for the #HuLRT. Can't wait to see the @Alstom vehicles travelling the Hurontario corridor"

2nhNIry

I can’t believe how long it takes to build this glorified streetcar. I love the vehicle. Looks cute. But seriously. You’re laying tracks. Get on with it and we won’t be drooling over Twitter pictures rather riding the LRT. *sigh*

I can’t believe how long it takes to build this glorified streetcar. I love the vehicle. Looks cute. But seriously. You’re laying tracks. Get on with it and we won’t be drooling over Twitter pictures rather riding the LRT. *sigh*
You have to drool over things since the contract to build the system is not going to awarded until after the June 2018 election. Long time coming,

At least we aren't getting dump dumb cars, but something better at this time, as well been longer. They will be ready before the system needs them.

To be honest, out of all of the LRT's that have been proposed to date, this project along with the ION have been progressing the fastest from their initial proposal dates. The ION's development has been stalled to a minor extent by Bombardier, but asides from that it progressed well.

If you want to see slow, just take a look at Hamilton and Finch West.

S
To be honest, out of all of the LRT's that have been proposed to date, this project along with the ION have been progressing the fastest from their initial proposal dates. The ION's development has been stalled to a minor extent by Bombardier, but asides from that it progressed well.

Still can’t stand the wait. Almost forgot it’s mere months till we get to go to Waterloo to ride the first of the region’s modern LRTs. Thin gruel after that until Eglinton.

Last edited:

ION may as well be 'complete' at this stage, no?

At least from an infrastructural point of view. Aren't they just sitting on their hands while waiting on the vehicles now?

ION may as well be 'complete' at this stage, no?

At least from an infrastructural point of view. Aren't they just sitting on their hands while waiting on the vehicles now?
You can essentially say it's complete from the building perspective. All they really have to do is vehicle testing on the actual route itself, along with the signals which is no small feat in itself.

You can essentially say it's complete from the building perspective. All they really have to do is vehicle testing on the actual route itself, along with the signals which is no small feat in itself.
Has a service vehicle been out on the real route yet? Even for one of those midnight runs like the TTC did with the Flexities 5 years ago? Has a wheel hit any of those new rails?

Not sure if this has been posted before or is new, but the Hurontario LRT account tweeted out this:

"A look at the livery for the #HuLRT. Can't wait to see the @Alstom vehicles travelling the Hurontario corridor"

Black/white with a grey area...seems a bit drab. IMO could be bright and bold, or use Miway orange. I guess Metrolinx wants it known that this is their line, hence their new B+W colour scheme. But I think that should be more reserved for things like letterheads on press releases or reports. Not vehicles. And if it is vehicles, why not the green livery for GO's fleet.

Yeah it does seem to take a really long time.

Back