That's not a re-announcement, it's a ribbon cutting.

Ooohhh...you can have a announcement, the start of an EA, a ribbon cutting, a silver shovel picture, a hard-hat picture when the construction fence goes up. Lots of photo ops for the election!

And once the hoarding goes up you can just stop working...so many pictures. So little actual construction.

Ooohhh...you can have a announcement, the start of an EA, a ribbon cutting, a silver shovel picture, a hard-hat picture when the construction fence goes up. Lots of photo ops for the election!

And once the hoarding goes up you can just stop working...so many pictures. So little actual construction.
If this keeps up, I'm sure well have "to make an announcement" Media Advisories that only give the time and location of an announcement, where that announcement announces the new time, location, and announcer for the actual announcement, which will announce an announcement that has already been announced but still needs to be reannounced. And afterwards, there is an announcement for when the official New Release is to be uploaded onto the site, and then an announcement that announces that the press release has been announced. Rinse and Repeat.

If you get exercised about politicians announcing milestones, you're gonna get exercised a lot!

This is what is wrong with these re-announcements of previous announcements.

Since we already knew it was in Brampton, annoncing the future home today should have been where in Brampton (not that that is Ministerial level work) but this gives no new information at all.

This picture from the announcement shows an aluminium outcrop from the main building. That looks identical to the one here at this building in Brampton.

^nice catch.....of course if they had just typed the address in the press release it would have saved you time

Facility (and the jobs) are important but describing it as a “massive facility” is funny.

By no definition in the 21st century is a 176k s.f industrial facility considered “massive “ :)

So, let me see if I understand it.....
The facility for the LRT vehicles are being built in a locale that decided against LRT?

I'm going to preempt @TOareaFan a bit here by saying that technically the Hurontario LRT does enter the municipality of Brampton. It stops at Steeles. Further, Council approved an EA for LRT alternative routes to Brampton GO and it's been discussed during the "Future Ready" process where planner Larry Beasley was hired to develop a new vision.

That said, some feel that the practical reality is that it is doubtful if the LRT would ever be extended further north (in any direction) from Steeles/Main. In other words, they feel that even though it does go to Steeles, that's no a very big portion of Brampton and was essentially (while not technically) saying no to LRT. This post is just meant to try to convey the various nuanced arguments in the Brampton discussion.

Further, I assume Alstom made the decision on where to put the plant. It could have gone to Mississauga or even Toronto. Also, it will make LRVs for the Finch LRT as well, which is another indication that just because a municipality says no to a LRT route, doesn't mean it shouldn't get the plant. I see a separation between the two issues (plant vs route).

The facility for the LRT vehicles are being built in a locale that decided against LRT?
I'm not sure if the government could really make the decision where Alstom was going to be producing its vehicles, but I tend to agree anyway. Why should Brampton be given any jobs paid for by the government if their city council was snooty enough as to disapprove the exact project that they'll be now making the vehicles for?

They're not against LRT. It's just that they can't agree on the alignment of the LRT north of Steeles Ave and how to pay for it.

I'm not sure if the government could really make the decision where Alstom was going to be producing its vehicles, but I tend to agree anyway. Why should Brampton be given any jobs paid for by the government if their city council was snooty enough as to disapprove the exact project that they'll be now making the vehicles for?
They did not disapprove the project.....the MSF and, what, 5 stops are in Brampton.....and all on Council agree the project should terminate at the Brampton GO station......a small majority on Council disagreed on how it should get there. Unlike other municipalities that disagreed with the province (that received more money for enhanced projects) Brampton receive bad press and a vindictive re-allocation of the funds (ironically I think some of that money went to munis who also dared to provide local input to a transit project ;) )

Back