Part of me almost wants them to relocate this fire-watch/clock tower, it's going to look really strange in front of a condo tower IMO.

I mean, in 20-40ish years, going off the idea that this proposal gets built with the heritage tower in front, wouldn't maintaining that aging clock tower go towards condominium fees? Going back to what I was saying, I just don't see the point of juxtaposing the condo tower right behind this historic fire-watch tower....it's just a weird combination. I'm not sure how they would relocate the fire tower somewhere else, but I don't think it'll look very great just plopped right near Yonge with a fair sized residential building behind it.
Call me petty but I'm not too optimistic with this development, except the condo tower has an alright design, somewhat reminiscent of the big white apt building at St. Clair and Spadina with all the balconies that are connected.

Why not try to play off of the unique landmark they've got here by adding brick and stone to the podium? Not every podium has to be an airy, insubstantial glass cube.

The tower looks ridiculous. This would probably side on tacky but, they could have easily framed out the retail space next to it as a fire truck bay.

The tower looks ridiculous. This would probably side on tacky but, they could have easily framed out the retail space next to it as a fire truck bay.

The clock tower looks ridiculous because it's buried in the podium and neither the tower nor podium do anything to acknowledge it.

Insinuating a false history by falsifying fire truck bays alongside it wouldn't be genuine or tell any real story.

The podium on the Quadrangle design was such a smart and dignified handling of it and actually enhanced the experience of the clock tower and made it more than it is, in my opinion. I am still stunned that the DRP voted unanimously to redesign it. The comments about the massing of the podium boggle my mind.

I care much more about the street scale than the tower. The original proposal tried to do something different and showcased the historic tower a bit, but this squared off redesign is so Toronto.

The clock tower looks ridiculous because it's buried in the podium and neither the tower nor podium do anything to acknowledge it.

Insinuating a false history by falsifying fire truck bays alongside it wouldn't be genuine or tell any real story.

The podium on the Quadrangle design was such a smart and dignified handling of it and actually enhanced the experience of the clock tower and made it more than it is, in my opinion. I am still stunned that the DRP voted unanimously to redesign it. The comments about the massing of the podium boggle my mind.

Perhaps my memory has failed me. I was thinking more recreating history as I recall the tower was originally constructed for a fire hall.

https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.6716794,-79.3885981,3a,75y,294.04h,107.56t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sPDO8cBdr0LVURta4YKWZFA!2e0!6s//geo0.ggpht.com/cbk?panoid=PDO8cBdr0LVURta4YKWZFA&output=thumbnail&cb_client=maps_sv.tactile.gps&thumb=2&w=203&h=100&yaw=286.41946&pitch=0&thumbfov=100!7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.6629...4!1s92HyzzNnnDXkdBtFk53z5Q!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Edit: The way I see it the tower is going to disassembled and it's probably not meant to be disassembled. The new base looks to be a complete fabrication. Why not continue and recreate the old firehall?

Last edited:
Thanks Cresford (not!)

They could at least put back a "clock" in the clock tower. In the renderings, it's just a blank white space. Looks odd.

Back