I really do wish Planning would pay more attention to podium design at-grade. If they spent half as much time on those considerations as they did on things like height and separation distance, I think we'd wind up with a consistently more interesting pedestrian experience.

Planning doesn't? There's only so much they can do.

More details available from the Toronto Preservation Board April meeting:

http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2017/pb/bgrd/backgroundfile-102680.pdf

AoD

From that doc:

upload_2017-4-10_13-59-36.png

upload_2017-4-10_14-0-31.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-4-10_13-59-36.png
    upload_2017-4-10_13-59-36.png
    203.6 KB · Views: 396
  • upload_2017-4-10_14-0-31.png
    upload_2017-4-10_14-0-31.png
    481.6 KB · Views: 394
from the March 27th HPS report:

"Adjacent to the clock tower on the north, the applicant has proposed a glass pavilion that follows the silhouette of the original fire house (demolished circa 1950) and which will have the original features of the building fritted onto the glass facade. The pavilion will be made of structural glass with very minimal expression of the glass joinery to maintain the clarity of the line drawing on the facade. While the recreation of the fire hall in this way cannot be considered conservation of an actual resource, this creative design lends considerable contextual and interpretive value to the project site. It assists in conveying the former context of the historic clock tower as part of the larger fire hall structure that once existed."

a pleasant surprise in the podium design. i lookforward to seeing its implementation as something that will add visual interest to Yonge St. and make people glance and stop for a moment.

further from the report regarding the clock component:

"repair/restore upper portion of clock tower (wood frame and slate roof) as required following detailed condition assessment; following destructive investigations of clock tower base to determine extant building fabric, the base portion of the clock tower (masonry) will be rehabilitated. Detailed condition assessment and details of the proposed rehabilitation and repairs/restoration to be provided in future Conservation Plan. 5) Repair/restore clock as recommended by a qualified subject matter expert."

Clock restoration would be great. Even if just on the eastern yonge st frontage!

I count 4 retail units. Better than before, but there are currently 7 on site. I guess they are simply too small to replicate in a modern building.

At least 12 ground level retail originally - 8 along Yonge, 4 on Grosvenor. I think the last retail finally closed down yesterday.

That stretch of Yonge is going to be very dead retail-wise for the next little while.

AoD

Last edited:

Back