480 University--University and Dundas St West is getting recladd and an addition to be 55s by Core Architects. You're thinking of the Zurich Building. I would love to see Brutalist-style concrete or anything other than 100% glass in Southcore. Esp considering the Lake effect--it was noticably colder and windier south of the tracks today than north so all glazed means less environmental friendliness. Picture Manulife Centre downhere---yes I believe that would be an improvement!

Last edited:
Friday they brought up a derrick preparing to take down one of the tower cranes. A friend sent me some pictures.

photo6CL.jpg

Photo by CL

photo9CL.jpg

Photo by CL

photo22.jpg

Photo by CL

I would have never guessed that the precast concrete on Infinity would eventually serve as much-welcomed visual relief from an onslaught of glass in this neighbourhood.

Hah! I was just about to post the same thing. I'm looking at that picture japrologue posted and thinking "How nice to have some pre-cast for diversity's sake".

glass exteriors last around 40-50 years. Buildings tend to need a recladding after that, as seen with many older glass buildings. (UN building, TD centre, FCP off the top of my head)

Back