News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roosevelt_Island_Tramway
Funny how this has escaped mention in this thread. (And funny how nothing like that has *ever* been considered for Toronto, esp. for Island access.)

Nice, im all for it... but i bet there are some bullshit laws over water protecting the flight paths/air space of the island airport.
Heck, not that the Q-400 would be flying that low..Yikes:eek:

Nice, im all for it... but i bet there are some bullshit laws over water protecting the flight paths/air space of the island airport.
Heck, not that the Q-400 would be flying that low..Yikes:eek:
Transport Canada is responsible for all marine crossings. Taking the Welland Canal as a comparision, the lowest clearance is 35.5m. Several of the Tall Ship cruise boats in the habour have masts over 50m. I don't know how high the Q400s get by the time there fly over the Docklands, but it doesn't seem like they are above a 17 story building.

In the York Commercial Directory for 1833-34 - digitised at the TPL - it is noted that the ferry to the island was operated by four horses. I assume they did not swim so what were they doing:

HORSE-BOAT TO THE ISLAND.
A boat propelled by four horses, called the Sir John of the Peninsula, runs every day from the Steam Boat Wharfs, to the starch factory on the Peninsula or Island, across the Bay: her trips regulated to suit public convenience.
Fare to and from the Island, 1s. 3d.
An Hotel has been opened on the Island, to accommodate sportsmen, parties of pleasure, &c

A gondola to the island airport would be a lot better (and cheaper) than a tunnel where you have to take two elevators to access it.

In the York Commercial Directory for 1833-34 - digitised at the TPL - it is noted that the ferry to the island was operated by four horses. I assume they did not swim so what were they doing:
The horse used a treadmill apparently - http://www.torontoharbour.com/toronto-boat-cruises/horse-boat-ferry.php

PHOTOS-Horsepropelledferry.jpg

Seems there was one on Lake Champlain, that only used one horse:
slide%2001.JPG

Wow, learn something every day!

Considering that tall boats would be going under it and that planes would be flying over it, perhaps this isn't the very best technology for our particular situation. Stringing wires across a flight path into an airport just sounds like a bad idea (and you don't want any appearance of safety issues around a downtown airport).

EDIT: It might work if went over the western channel to the airport, which is quite a distance to the side of the runway (and out of the flight path). Hang it from the Gardiner into downtown. Or along Queen's Quay with a few intermediate stations.

Last edited:
When I first saw the title of this thread, I thought it was referring to gondolas reminicent of those in Venice. Having an attraction like that would be great for tourists as they ply their way through the islands.....not to mention the fantastic views of the city. Wait a minute........oh I hear the Ford bros discounting it ......the gondolas would interfere with the surface duck traffic.

More options are better. A gondola could make the islands more accessible through better schedules (not just once every 30 or 45 minutes) and maybe even a lower cost.

How can it possibly be cheap? The ferry costs $6.5. Given the Toronto context, the gondola will cost at least double that amount if ever built.
When it comes to tourism/transit, nothing comes cheap in Toronto.

How can it possibly be cheap? The ferry costs $6.5. Given the Toronto context, the gondola will cost at least double that amount if ever built.
When it comes to tourism/transit, nothing comes cheap in Toronto.

If it has a lower operating cost, which would it cost "at least double"?

If it has a lower operating cost, which would it cost "at least double"?

Installation costs for a high capacity Gondola would be interesting to see if you include emergency/rescue equipment.

I've been lifted down from a chairlift and the mechanism was fairly simple but everybody on a ski-hill is able-bodied. Getting someone in a wheelchair down from a gondola in a choppy day (they won't break when the weather is nice) could be interesting. Maybe a boat with a gyroscopically stabilized ladder?

Back