Feb 23, 2020

fullsizeoutput_35b1.jpeg

DSCN1823.JPG

fullsizeoutput_35b2.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_35b4.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_35b5.jpeg

I quite like the way the colours behind the glass walls on the right are defused with that head on angle. I imagine these will make for very interesting lantern-like homes.

Ingels' work with Bolsonaro is a huge misstep that no doubt is embarrassing for other more socially conscious clients of BIG's. I'd expect that Ian Gillespie and Michael Emory would both be made uncomfortable by it, and while this project on King is full steam ahead, they'd have time to rethink their plans at Union Centre, and maybe consider another design there by someone else.

Ingels' work with Bolsonaro is a huge misstep that no doubt is embarrassing for other more socially conscious clients of BIG's. I'd expect that Ian Gillespie and Michael Emory would both be made uncomfortable by it, and while this project on King is full steam ahead, they'd have time to rethink their plans at Union Centre, and maybe consider another design there by someone else.

Let's hope. I've loved BIG's work but choosing to work with Bolsonaro and his government is such a boneheaded move. Taints any attempt to say they design for the betterment of people. Such a shame...

Let's hope. I've loved BIG's work but choosing to work with Bolsonaro and his government is such a boneheaded move. Taints any attempt to say they design for the betterment of people. Such a shame...
I'm sure the reanimated corpse of Oscar Niemeyer was Bolsonaro's first choice.

Bolsonaro concerns aside, this article is a meaningless hit piece with arguments full of holes. Are architects supposed to singlehandedly solve all of worlds problems? From climate change, to gentrification to economic inequality, according to the article it's all Ingel's fault. Ridiculous... What's a more environmentally friendly alternative to skyscrapers? Detached housing in cookie-cutter subdivisions? Please... stop.

As far as Bolsonaro goes, this reminds me of the outrage Elon Musk faced when he briefly was part of Trump's technology council. There is something to be said about trying to do the limited good you can in order to try to stir terrible people into making slightly less terrible decisions than they would otherwise. And I think firing BIG from Union Centre over a single meeting with a president of another country with whom you don't agree politically would be an overreaction to say the least.

Bolsonaro concerns aside, this article is a meaningless hit piece with arguments full of holes. Are architects supposed to singlehandedly solve all of worlds problems? From climate change, to gentrification to economic inequality, according to the article it's all Ingel's fault. Ridiculous... What's a more environmentally friendly alternative to skyscrapers? Detached housing in cookie-cutter subdivisions? Please... stop.

As far as Bolsonaro goes, this reminds me of the outrage Elon Musk faced when he briefly was part of Trump's technology council. There is something to be said about trying to do the limited good you can in order to try to stir terrible people into making slightly less terrible decisions than they would otherwise. And I think firing BIG from Union Centre over a single meeting with a president of another country with whom you don't agree politically would be an overreaction to say the least.
With a brush that big, I'm surprised you're still able to hold it!

You think that I think that that one article is the only piece of literature advocating for responsible corporate behaviour in regards to dealing with despotic governments, that that one article is the be-all and end-all on such thinking, and that it doesn't come from a whole field of critical thinking on the issue? You think I think that Ingels himself, personally, can singlehandedly solve all of the worlds problems including climate change, gentrification, economic equality, and more? Damn right I do! Of course I do! You got that nailed down exactly, congratulations on my utter disembowelling. :D

Back