Not necessarily. The hoarding was erected to safely demolish the building.

I doubt they’re going to put up hoarding, then tear it down to put up nicer hoarding. These wooden boards, soon to be plastered in layers of posters, will be here for the next half decade while they construct this building.

The Well also has this cheap boarded up hoarding but at least there, it was a previously isolated area and they’re building The Well at an astonishingly fast pace. KING is being built in the middle of a vibrant neighbourhood with heavy pedestrian traffic and is expected to take many years to build. At the very least, I would’ve liked the see the nicer hoarding used on projects like One Bloor East.

15680-52894.jpg

photo: @AlvinofDiaspar

I’d have preferred something nice since for all effects, this will feel semi permanent given the duration of the project. I had proposed a green wall and to my surprise, Bjark Ingels liked and retweeted my tweet. ?

6A6E692F-1F25-4656-888C-C643C8558C27.jpeg

77CB711C-1874-4EC2-BFBA-E237A6E7FD9F.jpeg

The construction of this site is going to impact most people who frequent downtown, it is a big and prominent site at a prominent location downtown.

Also, if Westbank is happy to give out Rolexes and Porsches to their buyers, then I think they can set the high standard in Toronto for construction hoarding.

He lives right there so it impacts his daily life in his neighbourhood so it's valid.
Someone doesn't live around there of course it doesn't matter to them how the hoarding looks....

Exactly this. If they’re going to set up nicer hoarding for the long term, fine. But if this is the hoarding that’s going to stay here for 5 years, it’s a big deal for those who have to live with it. FIVE YEARS is a friggin long time to have to walk by this every day. It’s across the street from me.

I’m excited about the project and I’m looking forward to seeing the development process but like @WislaHD said, if they can offer Rolexes and Porsches to their buyers, they can afford to build a nicer barrier. In fact, it’s an advertisement for Westbank. If it were me, I’d build a really nice green wall and glass bricks with a view into the construction zone and license the curb lane as a patio with seating and trees as a preview of what’s to come.

The above is why it’s dumb to assume people have muted you. I heard you but if you want what you say to be acknowledged as explicit, then be explicit. What have you heard about the hoarding? If you can’t say exactly what they’re doing, then say that this is not the final hoarding. Tiptoeing around hints isn’t going to be acknowledged as real information.

The above is why it’s dumb to assume people have muted you. I heard you but if you want what you say to be acknowledged as explicit, then be explicit. What have you heard about the hoarding? If you can’t say exactly what they’re doing, then say that this is not the final hoarding. Tiptoeing around hints isn’t going to be acknowledged as real information.
For those who don't know, an industry insider is (cryptically) indicating that the initial hoarding is going to be improved upon!

I’m going to be honest, the glass blocks look pretty cheap up close. These are the reference samples, the best they could gather to give prospective buyers a look at the quality of the construction, yet they feel very raw.

Perhaps I associate glass blocks with outdated cheap motels and I fear that these are going to age as well as wood paneling in an 80’s basement renovation.

But I trust Bjarke Ingels. I’ve not disliked a single one of BIG’s buildings that I’ve seen completed. I’m thinking that the raw nature of the glass blocks will be matched by the similarly raw texture of the plants, with light shining through the vines.

The vegetation is going to be critical to adding interest on this building. Large expanses of just this glass would not look too great.

Are there 2 shades of glass blocks or it's just the light MetroMan?

Back