I like it. The blocks are a throwback to the 80s but the fluted pattern is very modern. I think it won’t be easy to judge the quality until we can see how the pieces are ultimately assembled.

I’ve never been a fan of the glass blocks but willing to reserve judgement until we start seeing them installed during construction.

The ribbed glass blocks do look much nicer than the frosted ones used in the sales centre. It provides better quality light and is more visually interesting to see through.

As for the hoarding, I’m sure Westbank will eventually clad the hoarding with something nice, similar to what they did on Mirvish Village. Hoarding hasn’t been fully installed around the entire site yet (last time I walked by), so it’s probably in the process soon. The site is huge and takes up a significant swath of King Street — with a developer so in-tuned with culture, the arts, and the community, I wouldn’t expect Westbank to just put up raw plywood along this prominent street.
This would be another excellent opportunity for Westbank to tap into their creative side, like the various exhibitions they have hosted this past year on the site.

20200211_084636.jpg
20200211_084700.jpg

Very cool. Will be interesting to see these assembled and in context. I think a big part of this will be the light play with shadows, interior lighting and eventually the vines that will creep around them.

That's really cool. Not that I'm complaining, but aren't they getting way ahead of themselves? Demolition, excavation, building the foundation and all other underground work, and erecting the frame of the building are all going to take years before it gets to the point of adding the walls. I wonder how many of these blocks they're making that they need to stockpile them years in advance.

maybe the video is from the prototypes they have on the dispaly

That's really cool. Not that I'm complaining, but aren't they getting way ahead of themselves? Demolition, excavation, building the foundation and all other underground work, and erecting the frame of the building are all going to take years before it gets to the point of adding the walls. I wonder how many of these blocks they're making that they need to stockpile them years in advance.
Given the entirety of the building is essentially these glass blocks, and that means a lot of glass blocks, they probably need to get the show on the road making them. If the developer, architect and I assume the glassmakers are all on board with the quality and outcome it's full steam ahead.

Back