3426513583_6e90e8a1db_o.jpg

wow. this thing is going to be chunky/fat. i've seen this type of look and a skinnier look...

I know what you're saying Steveve, but I don't think the model will do any justice to the final larger-than life version. It's still going to be a sleek and skinny tower. In fact, I think it just may make you rethink your classification of Shangri-La as the sexiest tower under construction.

The cladding they are using for the back and side mechanical areas (and which is being applied now and visible in some pics a page or two back) is a brownish grey. If the cladding is representative of the tower (and from the model pics, the colour scheme is the same for the tower and the back mechanical cladding) we are not going to get a blue clad tower.

We have more colour in our buildings now than we ever have... do we not? How many different colours of building materials were utilized 60 years ago? You could basically choose between shades of grey, beige, and brick red.

Today we've got red, green, blue, black, white, silver and splashes of everything in between. The "grey" issue is not nearly as bad or pervasive in Toronto as users of this site make it out to be.

Toronto in the 50's:
2173271731_e71f90847a_o.jpg

Quality of materials is of much more importance than colour to me.

True, older buildings had more earth/grey tones but it was the materials used. Namely, brick, stone, etc. But the quality of materials and design just blows away any modern glass tower.

True, older buildings had more earth/grey tones but it was the materials used. Namely, brick, stone, etc. But the quality of materials and design just blows away any modern glass tower.

So you agree with me then. You would have no problem with grey cladding as long as the materials used to clad the building were attractive and high quality?

Because everything is grey these days. I'm exaggerating but you get the point.

You're not exaggerating, almost everything going up in this city is grey, or trimmed with grey. It's so overwhelming, especially for a guy who loves COLOUR! One day, we will regret it, when the world starts to label us, Toronto, the grey city. Dull and predictable is not something to be proud of.

God, I hope this tower is not grey! (stainless steal, I wouldn't mind) The cladding on the east side is nothing like the model or pics. (unfortunately) I thought that was going to be glass, instead of painted metal.

You're not exaggerating, almost everything going up in this city is grey, or trimmed with grey. It's so overwhelming, especially for a guy who loves COLOUR! One day, we will regret it, when the world starts to label us, Toronto, the grey city. Dull and predictable is not something to be proud of.

God, I hope this tower is not grey! (stainless steal, I wouldn't mind) The cladding on the east side is nothing like the model or pics. (unfortunately) I thought that was going to be glass, instead of painted metal.

The grey towers suit Toronto's personality perfectly though. Wanting to be big time but too timid to go all the way with it.

So you agree with me then. You would have no problem with grey cladding as long as the materials used to clad the building were attractive and high quality?

Yes, grey is fine for the building as long as there is matching color for the glass window.
The cladding on the side of the building (Sony"s mechanical room?) looks nice.
We were told that L tower is supposed to be a high end product with unique design. Let's see.

I always try to compare with Ritz, Trump, Shangri-la, Four Seasons, Aura to see if L tower would fit into this peer bulding group... Ice tower, Maple Leaf... are interesting buildings too.

All the sudden, the Toronto skyline has changed so much and it is exciting to stay in downtown nowadays.

I always try to compare with Ritz, Trump, Shangri-la, Four Seasons, Aura to see if L tower would fit into this peer bulding group... Ice tower, Maple Leaf... are interesting buildings too.

All the sudden, the Toronto skyline has changed so much and it is exciting to stay in downtown nowadays.

To me:

Ritz, Shangri-la, Trump, and Four Seasons are one category. they are hotel/condo in concept, with very high end suites. in fact, dominating the most expensive in the city. to me these are top of the line. shared with hotel.

L tower and Theatre Park are in a group as well. marketed as "iconic" designs with limited # of suites. These more premium condos. exclusive to owners.

Aura and One Bloor are in another category. Big condo developers with BIG projects. Both include retail podiums. these units aren't necessarily going for complete luxury, they come in bulk (of course the penthouses are nice as well).

Back