Protection Panels

I was always wondering about the purpose of these big "billboard" panels one can see covering the top floors during high-rise construction as now for the L Tower. Are they just used for advertisement or are the builders trying to hide something?

6221893140_db961fb164_z.jpg
... Oct 6, 8:00 am (11th & 12th floor still open towards east)
6219323730_4ed9d7077e.jpg
... Oct 6, 6:35 pm (semi enclosed)
6221355507_a49019a574.jpg
... Oct 7, 6:25 pm (fully enclosed, no more spying)

The answer found through Internet search is "protection from danger". With the plywood panels the slab edges on the upper floors are completely enclosed. Site personnel are secure against falling and protected against strong winds when working at great heights. In addition, the enclosure keeps them from dropping loose materials off the side of the building, enhances the feeling of safety for site personnel and increases the work productivity at great heights.

Last edited:
udo that picture is stunning. is this an HDR shot or is that just a boss exposure time???

gorgeous shot! skyscraper p0rn!... I'd never have the patience to take night pics..

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited:
I was under the impression that corner would be curved up, somewhat like a canoe.

It still looks great so I'm not going to complain though.

I was under the impression that corner would be curved up, somewhat like a canoe.

It still looks great so I'm not going to complain though.

Early renders had that corner curved like a canoe as you describe, but if you flip back a ways in this thread you will see that they amended it to look exactly like we see it progressing here.

From today, you can see the crane on the far left...it wont be long before the L-Tower pops up:cool:

October092011044.jpg

Also off topic, new news .....Downtown Toronto Icon Hits the Market: Historic Flatiron Building For Sale
Read more: http://www.benzinga.com/pressreleas...storic-flatiron-building-for-sa#ixzz1aTwq6pNO

what i find funny is that this view hasn't really changed in the past 5 years (aside from 18 York popping up in the background)... feels like a 2005ish shot, of course, the last major addition was 1 King West)

I've never liked the look of the CBD skyline from this view... something's just off with the balance of the towers, especially with the fat sides of 1 King and Scotia... just awkward.

L tower is gonna really make this view better by being uniquely awkward (which is a good thing). it'll make everything else look less awkward by doing so,

Back