IMG_4816.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_4816.jpg
    IMG_4816.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 2,829
^^^ Such a travesty that they're building another tower RIGHT in front of L Tower. Like 50 feet away from it across the street. Such a shame it will block the South view of L-Tower forever. Such an iconic building is going to be completely obscured by some generic thing.

. . . Does the south elevation of L Tower look remotely iconic to you?

Agreed, its the east and west views that do the building justice. The south would have been blocked eventually no matter what, if not due to backstage, then due to some large towers further south.

I remember going to the topping off ceremony for this almost two years ago. Amazing how little visible progress there has been in two years.

I remember going to the topping off ceremony for this almost two years ago. Amazing how little visible progress there has been in two years.

Agreed. It's disappointing on many condo projects that the ground floor, entrance, retail and meeting of the street is always the very last thing to be done, often left in an incomplete state for years after the bulk of the heavy building construction has been completed and people are moving in. Yet this is the part that impacts the day-to-day life of everyone who lives and works in the vicinity. I understand they can't be driving cement trucks across finished landscaping, but I wish there could be more coordination to minimize the amount of time that entire intersections look like hellholes. There must be some way to simultaneously polish off some of the ground floors and landscaping. This corner plaza seems like a prime example. Instead it's like they wait until the whole tower is done and they sort of seem surprised that the ground exists.

Not to mention pedestrians having to step in mud around it. Especially The Union Station Section. I feel for those who have to go by that every day, outside and inside and around Union right now. They really need to kick it in gear. sorry, but reminds me that That Glass Overhang shed For the trains looks nice but, It seems like an awfull long time that they have been going with this project. Though I do understand With high traffic. safety first. Appologies, off topic!
No 'hoarding complaints' page

^^^ Such a travesty that they're building another tower RIGHT in front of L Tower. Like 50 feet away from it across the street. Such a shame it will block the South view of L-Tower forever. Such an iconic building is going to be completely obscured by some generic thing.
BUT, should we really be planning a city based on fleeting views from an elevated highway?

I generally just post photos & reserve comments but I may have a little bit of insight to your post, @harry_fine. The tower crane is still in place as there is work to be done that requires it. My understanding: Yet to be completed is installation of the BMU (building maintenance unit). I believe the BMU was discussed in previous posts. In short, the BMU is a small crane that retracts into the opening at the top of the building. What you were told regarding use of a helicopter may have been in relation to getting the boom section of the BMU to the top of the building (just my guess), not removal the tower crane. The tower crane, when no longer needed, will be down-climbed in sections (over several days) till it reaches a point where a mobile crane can remove the counterjib/boom/counter weights etc..and remaining tower sections. Hope this helped a little. :) Cheers!

Last edited:
I generally just post photos & reserve comments but I may have a little bit of insight to your post, @harry_fine. The tower crane is still in place as there is work to be done that requires it. My understanding: Yet to be completed is installation of the BMU (building maintenance unit). I believe the BMU was discussed in previous posts. In short, the BMU is a small crane that retracts into the opening at the top of the building. What you were told regarding use of a helicopter may have been in relation to getting the boom section of the BMU to the top of the building (just my guess), not removal the tower crane. The tower crane, when no longer needed, will be down-climbed in sections (over several days) till it reaches a point where a mobile crane can remove the counterjib/boom/counter weights etc..and remaining tower sections. Hope this helped a little. :) Cheers!

Thanks Jane! It did. I too, was wondering the reasons for the crane still being up.

Definitely could be right Jane ... Rob does mention alot about the BMU on his twitter posts. I guess that may be the reason why the top row of the tower has not been covered (with cladding or other) yet. They are still waiting on the BMU boom to be delivered.

Back