8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

King of Kensington

Member Bio
Reaction score
As opposed to the uncritical boosterism of the latest Toronto Life real estate issue, here's an article that does a "risk assessment" by neighborhood in the likelihood of a housing market "correction"

http://www.torontolife.com/daily/in...-safest-places-to-buy-real-estate-in-toronto/

The sad thing of course is it mostly (though not entirely) corroborates "the rich get richer" theme of Occupy...buying on a prime Forest Hill street like Dunvegan Rd., say, is just about the safest investment, while the Annex and prime Riverdale are more solid investments than "up and coming" areas like Parkdale, the Junction and the like....

As opposed to the uncritical boosterism of the latest Toronto Life real estate issue, here's an article that does a "risk assessment" by neighborhood in the likelihood of a housing market "correction"

http://www.torontolife.com/daily/in...-safest-places-to-buy-real-estate-in-toronto/

The sad thing of course is it mostly (though not entirely) corroborates "the rich get richer" theme of Occupy...buying on a prime Forest Hill street like Dunvegan Rd., say, is just about the safest investment, while the Annex and prime Riverdale are more solid investments than "up and coming" areas like Parkdale, the Junction and the like....

While I would take this piece with a HUGE grain of salt, I'll also need to get cracking on that second mortgage to pay for the new boat, seeing that Riverdale has no risk whatsoever...

Now why is it the 'rich' peoples fault when the 'poor' can't maintain their own real estate buble?

I would however take everything Toronto life writes with a grain of salt....

Last edited:

Presumably you are aware that they published this in July 2010.

Now why is it the 'rich' peoples fault when the 'poor' can't maintain their own real estate buble?

I would however take everything Toronto life writes with a grain of salt....

cuz it is always right to blame the rich for anything bad, because being rich itself, is a sin.

I have seen a lot of "poor" people in the US before. When they get $100, they spent it on fried chickens and beers within a week, rather than save it for their kids' education. When they get $2,000, they buy a plama TV or go on vacations, rather than invest it smartly for something more useful in the future. In the end, they kids are still poor when they grow up, all because the rich bankers and lawyers and doctors are too evil, supposedly.

back to real estate. There is little surprise wealthier and more established neighborhood hold their value better than poorer ones. I would be surprised if it were not the case. People with more disposable income tend to do better work in maintaining their houses, gardens, and care more about the beauty and safety of their communties. When there is a problem, they fix it. Poorer folks worry more about making ends meet than roof maintenance and neighbourhood charm. Why should anyone expect houses in poorer areas appreciate faster in value?

in the end, you work more, you get more. Just because an area is cheap doesn't mean it has more "potential". Some of the so called up-and-coming neighourhoods, probably will have no chance of being desirable real estate, unless of course, the demographic composition moves upwards - which means, - allow me to be blunt, the poor move out and richer move in, or the poor become richer. Areas where poor people gather will always do worse then others, and this will never change. If you look at history in other major cities, there is no convergence in real estate. There is usually divergence.

I've never understood why this board has a reputation for being "left-wing"...

Why do we need labels like this? Being left-wing means always hating the rich and banks and expecting them to pay higher taxes so that the poor can get more subsidy to have a better life their own ability is not sufficient to provide?

Being neither rich nor poor, I look at the facts and analyze what is right and fair. The poor are not always worth the sympathy and the wealthy are not always evil. What are the poor people doing when the investment bankers and lawyers are working 16 hours a day? What were the poor doing at 21 when the now rich doctors and lawyers were burning the midnight oil every night?

I think Canada's income gap is reasonably small and is probably the fairest you can get - something I particularly like about this country. In the US and Asia, the rich are being paid excessively and are able to enjoy a lavish lifestyle yet paying relatively lower taxes; in many European countries such as France and Sweden, too much money goes to social welfare, thus overly penalizing those who do work hard and get wealthier. Neither is ideal. It is not like the smaller the income gap, the better it is. Otherwise North Korea would be the best nation in the world.

cuz it is always right to blame the rich for anything bad, because being rich itself, is a sin.

I have seen a lot of "poor" people in the US before. When they get $100, they spent it on fried chickens and beers within a week, rather than save it for their kids' education. When they get $2,000, they buy a plama TV or go on vacations, rather than invest it smartly for something more useful in the future. In the end, they kids are still poor when they grow up, all because the rich bankers and lawyers and doctors are too evil, supposedly.
Yeah, I am pretty well off now, but for a time back in high school I lived in a complex which was partially social housing. We had no money, so we saved it for stuff like groceries and clothes. I didn't even have a bed, just a mattress. It just royally pissed me off to see my neighbours spend their social assistance cheques on beer, pizza, and video rentals, and then complain they had no money.

back to real estate. There is little surprise wealthier and more established neighborhood hold their value better than poorer ones. I would be surprised if it were not the case. People with more disposable income tend to do better work in maintaining their houses, gardens, and care more about the beauty and safety of their communties. When there is a problem, they fix it. Poorer folks worry more about making ends meet than roof maintenance and neighbourhood charm. Why should anyone expect houses in poorer areas appreciate faster in value?
Actually, in some areas it is in fact true. There seems to be a ceiling for prices, which may partially explain the part about Bridle Path. While some say "luxury" in the GTA begins at around $1 million for a detached home, there is this concept of entry level luxury. Above that the target market becomes extremely small. There is the 0.1% (or 0.01%?) as it were, once you start hitting prices above $2 million.

It seems to me the best chance for average price appreciation is in nice neighbourhoods which have pre-existing nice homes representing some but not all of the homes.

To put it in practical terms: In the last real estate blip, the high end luxury market basically froze completely. The mid-range and upper non-luxury detached home market slowed significantly, with price drops, but didn't even come close to freezing.

in the end, you work more, you get more. Just because an area is cheap doesn't mean it has more "potential". Some of the so called up-and-coming neighourhoods, probably will have no chance of being desirable real estate, unless of course, the demographic composition moves upwards - which means, - allow me to be blunt, the poor move out and richer move in, or the poor become richer. Areas where poor people gather will always do worse then others, and this will never change. If you look at history in other major cities, there is no convergence in real estate. There is usually divergence.
Yes, it seems the true up-and-coming neighbourhoods, ie. the ones that actually are improving, partially improve because richer people move in.

However, in my area, it's not just the well-off moving in as the less well-off move out. It's the less well-off dying off, and the more well-off moving in... after some contractor has bought the old house, torn it down, and built a new one in its place.

I've never understood why this board has a reputation for being "left-wing"...
Well, cuz quite frankly it is. If you can't see it, then you should probably look again. Amongst my colleagues, I am left wing. On this board, judging by the posts I'm probably further right than most people here, despite the fact that in provincial and federal elections I have always voted centrist or left of centre (by general Canadian standards).

Last edited:
Why do we need labels like this? Being left-wing means always hating the rich and banks and expecting them to pay higher taxes so that the poor can get more subsidy to have a better life their own ability is not sufficient to provide?

Being neither rich nor poor, I look at the facts and analyze what is right and fair. The poor are not always worth the sympathy and the wealthy are not always evil. What are the poor people doing when the investment bankers and lawyers are working 16 hours a day? What were the poor doing at 21 when the now rich doctors and lawyers were burning the midnight oil every night?

I think Canada's income gap is reasonably small and is probably the fairest you can get - something I particularly like about this country. In the US and Asia, the rich are being paid excessively and are able to enjoy a lavish lifestyle yet paying relatively lower taxes; in many European countries such as France and Sweden, too much money goes to social welfare, thus overly penalizing those who do work hard and get wealthier. Neither is ideal. It is not like the smaller the income gap, the better it is. Otherwise North Korea would be the best nation in the world.

Don't worry, nobody thinks YOU'RE left wing.

Now why is it the 'rich' peoples fault when the 'poor' can't maintain their own real estate buble?.
Because many on the Left believe in equality of result, not in equality of opportunity. If you have a nice house, and I have a poor house, you must have obtained it through exploiting someone, so I deserve a share of your house to make us equal in result (houses).

Because many on the Left believe in equality of result, not in equality of opportunity. If you have a nice house, and I have a poor house, you must have obtained it through exploiting someone, so I deserve a share of your house to make us equal in result (houses).

That is is biggest pile of shit I've ever seen you post... please don't pass this ideology onto the next generation.

Back