um, i think that's the stupidest thing i've heard in a long time. Stop and make sure you are fully awake before approaching the keyboard. That comment might be appropriate during the initial design or perhaps a year or so after construction is done. But halfway through construction? Check and make sure all your circuit breakers are switched on.

lol!!!

Personally I love what I am seeing so far. The podium matching the angle on University. The points in the middle and the angles I like. I love the glass that I can see so far The balconies are functional so I don't know what they do. If they are not there, we complain. If they are, there are too many?

I guess the design could be more avant garde. The trouble is there are only so many designs one can do. And alot of avant guard stuff doesn't stand the test of time. I guess the question would be: is 2004 Vancouver design "bad?"

Personally, I think we need to see more but I believe when complete this will be one of the nicer towers in the city. Again, just my opinionl.

Ditto and agree.

A hypothetical UTer in 1964/65 commenting on New City Hall:

"Is it just me or is this thing starting to look like a huge disappointment and already past its prime - design wise? Seems so, i dunno, 1958. At least on the exterior."

from yesterday morning..

sany0393f.jpg

sany03950.jpg

sany0398.jpg

Last edited:
I walked by the Shangri La about 5 minutes ago. Didnt have my trusty camera with me, but I'll say this: You Guys Need to be Concerned. This shit is serious, I couldn't believe my eyes. There is some new cladding, on the corner of the southface, and its serious.

Four Seasons May End up getting owned by this. Mirrorlike finish, and enhanced ribbing off the mullion panelling. Serious, serious stuff. It just looks amazing. Unreal.

I walked by the Shangri La about 5 minutes ago. Didnt have my trusty camera with me, but I'll say this: You Guys Need to be Concerned. This shit is serious, I couldn't believe my eyes. There is some new cladding, on the corner of the southface, and its serious.

Four Seasons May End up getting owned by this. Mirrorlike finish, and enhanced ribbing off the mullion panelling. Serious, serious stuff. It just looks amazing. Unreal.

Hey Cal, I read your first part of the post and started to panic.
Then I read the 2nd part and you say it may even be nicer than 4S. Now I am relieved and even more curious.
When you've got your trusty camera next, bring us all into the loop.

The quality of the glazing appear to be of a lesser quality than what's used in Four Seasons just by the amount of ripple that's evident from the various photos. Not by a lot, but it is there.

AoD

Listen guys,
I personally hope I agree with CAL when I see it. I find the shape of Shangrila's building more interesting than 4S but if it even is in the same league as 4S then I think it is a home run anyway.
I think Cal's point was that there is even nicer stuff to come in the glass and mullions and we are pretty happy with what we have seen so far.
Anyhow, isn't it great that we are having a discussion on comparing what is arguably one if not the nicest projects in the city in the 4S?

If androiduk or khristopher don't get shots today. Then for sure I will get a shot tomorrow.

Yes, this glass is different than the cladding that we have seen so far. More mirrorlike, and the ribbing on the mullions is larger or more pronounced. Very nice

A mullion is a structural element which divides adjacent window units, also known in the commercial door industry as a piece of hardware that divides the opening of a pair of doors.
A mullion acts as a structural member, and it carries the dead load of the weight above the opening and the wind load acting on the window unit back to the building structure. The term is also properly applied to very large and deep structural members in many curtain wall systems.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mullion

Great explanation Caltrane... Thanks.

So the mullions that we have already seen on the south side in between panes of glass appear to me to be crude and unfinished strips of aluminum.I have been wondering if this is the way they would look on the finished building. Are you saying that these have been adorned or changed in some way, or are there different mullions in a different section of the south side ?

This morning when I walked by, a new section of cladding had been installed and it "appeared" different. The mullions appeared somewhat thicker and the glass more reflective. Now it could have just been the morning sun, and this is why I am sorry I didn't bring my camera.

Anyways, this cladding looks very good.

Back