This is the first time I've seen Shangri-La up close and in person, and DAMN this thing is a beast!
Taken earlier today.

5842863865_9c83c99dc8_b.jpg

jaw dropping. Shangri-la all of the sudden looks very very very tall/sleek from here. and it's only gonna get better.

And on another note, Jasonzed's pic is fun just seeing how skinny Trump tower is, it even makes shangri-la's west side look fat! Shangri-la looks like it's about 130/140m now,

either way, this is one of the most exciting times ever in recent decades for the financial district, even more so than when the Bay Adelaide Centre went up which was huge... pretty close,

From the Hanlan's Point ferry this weekend, not the clearest day to be taking pictures but oh well..

409zu.jpg

408ck.jpg

All photos by me.

2011 is a huge year for buildings topping off. Major additions to the skyline: Trump, SL and Four Seasons should all top off in the same year.

408ck.jpg

All photos by me.

the one thing that really ticks me off is that say... for example... when i walked into chapters and found a new book all about cities and it said on the front "all updated pictures"... as i explore the book and it shows a picture of toronto i know that it must be at least 3(?) years old because Ritz Carlton, RBC centre and First Canada Place recladding have all not been started yet. OR ... you know that comercial for aero during the MMVA'S it shows an animated skyline picture and same deal as i said above... Sorry i just had to let that out.... the ranter i am

Have you seen the 20/30 year old skyline pictures that are often used in the Condo Guide for some of their articles? Pathetic.

From June 19

5862006265_2446f3eaf1_b.jpg

this pic is awesome.... I think this will end up being the 2nd signature shot of Shangri-la, behind the University Avenue looking south look. From here, you'll have a great, unobstructed view of Shangri-la (a little to the right of this shot, and you won't see theatre park).... This is a great skyscraper that will please most crowds with some great cladding, interesting geometry, awesome height, non-box for the most part, etc.
the Ritz can never shine like this tower does, without it's slanted roof, it's got nothing :p, (on the outside)

and yes, i get very pissed off (especially on tourist brochures and what not), when they have an outdated skyline shot of the city, not to mention, 99% of the time, the view will be from the lake, not showcasing the rest of the skyline. Recently, CP24 started using live images/updating the background pics, though maybe they're waiting for a crane-less skyline, which, isn't happening anytime soon...

My 2 favourite projects in the city that are up in the sky, are Trump and Shangri-la.

Back