TV and the Jays...

Often when I'm watching the Jays here on the MLB package, we will get feeds from home, and road teams and they're "LOVELY NITE HERE IN TORONTO PANO" is never a recent shot!!
Even Baltimore, who has a camera crew here three times a year and theyre showing 10 year old stock footage from the lake. When the Twins were there, they put up this shot from Humber Bay , no BA, no RBC/Ritz, no MLS no ROCP... most of City place wasnt even there. I mean take a camera outside n take a few shots.....Seems lazy??
After 9/11 ya never saw the WTC shots again.... so maybe we should play up the Leafs disaster, or encourage some hockey hooligans to burn sumthin down?!?!

Often when I'm watching the Jays here on the MLB package, we will get feeds from home, and road teams and they're "LOVELY NITE HERE IN TORONTO PANO" is never a recent shot!!
Even Baltimore, who has a camera crew here three times a year and theyre showing 10 year old stock footage from the lake. When the Twins were there, they put up this shot from Humber Bay , no BA, no RBC/Ritz, no MLS no ROCP... most of City place wasnt even there. I mean take a camera outside n take a few shots.....Seems lazy??
After 9/11 ya never saw the WTC shots again.... so maybe we should play up the Leafs disaster, or encourage some hockey hooligans to burn sumthin down?!?!

I agree, and funny you mention it because I created a thread on this topic about a month ago...

http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/showthread.php/17468-Blue-Jays-broadcasting...-Sneaky-sneaky!

Edit: OOPS! I must have taken those pictures for the above thread off my Flickr account.

Last edited:
Some of the local newscasts have opening graphics or city shots that are at least five years old, i.e. CityTV at 6.

Global Toronto ads have a shot from the Polson street camera of the harbour, that must be 6 or 7 years out of date. The stupid thing is, the weather cast with Bill Coulter or Anthony Farnell uses a live shot from that same camera almost every night during their forecast.

Would it kill the guys down in video editing bay number 3 to get a screencap and shoot it over to the ad/graphics department to do an updated bumper from time to time?

Seriously folks, when i was in the business I wouldn't let stale crap like that linger in the video cycle very long.

Last edited:
`
shangj23.jpg

With due respect to the 4 Season's, this is the best building (with cladding on) going up right now.

it's a tough call, but because of the geometry/patterns, it looks way more eye-catching (for the better). this tower is so sick! one of the best facades in the city.

Man, this thing is a beauty.. That last shot there makes the cladding look fantastic! I can't wait until this eye-catcher is all the way up and completed, it will be a great addition to the city.

With due respect to the 4 Season's, this is the best building (with cladding on) going up right now.

I think I agree, this might turn out to be the best five-star hotel highrise built this cycle. The Four Seasons is elegant, simple and has great glass. Shangri-la is much more interesting to look at so far IMO and also uses great glass. I also prefer this building because it's on my favorate Avenue in the city, and I'd rather live here if I was stinking rich than at Bay & Yorkville - but that's just me.

This is a pure "WINNING" formula. Beautiful tower, perfect location. I think this location is slightly better than the one at Bay/Yorkville, only because of location, not area. It's exactly in between the financial district and the entertainment district, right near City Hall, in the center of University Ave (it's basically at your foot when you look north), with Queens Park in the distance, AND, on a subway line. you get the best of both worlds. Amongst top 3 best locations in the city.

I kind of thought we might be seeing this kind of reaction because as the glass on the 4S went higher, it looked better and better and that is what is happening now at SL.

I am clearly not a connaisseur but I would venture to say that the glass is the same virtually in both locations. It boils down to whether one prefers a tall sleek square or an angled glass tower.

As to location, there is at present only one Yorkville and hence this makes 4S more exclusive. I say this as a purchaser at SL so clearly you can tell where I should be favouring, I still feel 4S is in the more exclusive neighbourhood. I think SL is great for the theatre, sporting, concert events and "clubs" though the latter is not for me. Yorkville is more for the shopping, trendy restaurants, and "to be seen".

Personally, I think University Avenue is the
"Grand dame" street in the city. I think both buildings show off beautifully.

Internally however, I think SL made an error offering 9 foot ceilings for the residences instead of 10 ft (the estates are 10 ft). I think this will be a noticable difference when comparing SL to Ritz, Trump and 4S. I think SL will be more casual and modern vs. what will exist in the other 3 which may be more "old world chic".

In my opinion, and it is only my opinion, despite all the accolades for the Ritz and its Southern angle, it really looks like just another office tower to me, given the lack of opening windows and no balconies. Trump is sleek but squashed in on Bay street and hence for this reason I prefer SL. 4S also stands somewhat alone at its height in Yorkville (at least for now) and hence these 2 constitute (4S and SL) my favourites.

In Jasonzed's first pic, he lined Shangri-la up perfectly with Bay Adelaide's silhouette, i'm definitely gonna miss seeing it.... sad.... :(

Back