I don't think it will clash. Remember that the heritage building (the Bishop's Block) will have to be rebuilt at the corner of Adelaide and just north of that will be the drive court and drop-off area. The Bishop's Block will act as a nice foil to the other buildings across the street and the drive court will provide some physical separation. The different elements won't be too close together and it should work just fine.

Recent pic looking South

4263102975_9dcd7c02ef_b.jpg

That's remarkable progress considering a year ago (almost to the day) Smuncky posted this:

DSC00081.jpg

And then it's even more remarkable to think that a year from now this could easily be up 40-45 storeys. Funny how some buildings seem to take forever to come out of the ground while others (like this one) just kind of surprise you

I'm really getting excited now that we're 1.5 floors away from reaching the surface!

This project has risen really fast considering things BUT it seems like its been way longer than a year -IMO! :)

That's remarkable progress considering a year ago (almost to the day) Smuncky posted this:

DSC00081.jpg

And then it's even more remarkable to think that a year from now this could easily be up 40-45 storeys. Funny how some buildings seem to take forever to come out of the ground while others (like this one) just kind of surprise you

Taking a year just to reach ground level isn't remarkable.

I remember how quiet desolate this area used to be until very recently - the oldest structure in the city (an abandoned old tavern) used to occupy this site. Everthing else close-by was very low-rise, drab, semi-abandoned commercial stuff.
Sometimes I miss those parts of the city - bleak, abandoned, gritty.

Depending on what kind of timeline you're referring to, that's not accurate at all. Aside from the tavern itself (not the city's oldest structure), no buildings (aside from a few store frontages on Adelaide) in the area are/have recently been abandoned and with any number of businesses occupying those old industrial structures by day and the nightly import of clubbers and other Jersey Shore-types after dusk, it's hardly lacking in vibrancy.

I miss the days when this was all railroad lands. The lines used to come down the Esplanade, and cover the whole area that the CBC sits on today. No condos, no offices, just some long, dank brink warehouses with nobody round them but an old Irish hand out on the loading dock, pacing under the lamplight after dark. There were always yellowed, peeling signs warning us to keep off, but half of the spurs were grown over with weeds by then, and we figured they were safe for smoking and rambling.

The smell of creosote would mix with the whiff of hot dogs wafting over from King; the clang of PCC cars would fall in with the whine of little shunting engines as they revved up and down. Once Jimmy Tailese bet me a quarter I couldn't throw one of those railbed rocks clear across the top of a single-storey warehouse that night. I lost a quarter and from the sound of things, the warehouse lost a skylight, but Jimmy, doubled over laughing, was the only one left when the watchman came running around from the back, bleeding from the head and waving a length of two-by-four like a maniac. Jimmy wasn't laughing for long. They put him on one of the last juvie trains headed for Kenora, just before the Liberals got back into power and thought better of the things. When he finally got back, he never really said much.

Anyway, Toronto was better in those days.

Back