That Vancouver Condo Tower is really nice. Now if Shangri La can at least equal that, which in books, it looks to have done, and then take it to the next level we should be ok here. But still, that says something when a run of the mill condo in Vancouver looks so good, and it takes a 5 star hotel Tower to match the quality of the cladding and surpass it here in Toronto.

my god. the glass looks amazing at the angled sections! wow. i'm blown away.
i am also confused how they're gonna have that angled glass effect. i don't see any slants going up the tower so far. not sure how they're gonna make it look that way.

For some reason, i've always wanted many of these 5 star hotels to have rooms a little higher up... I mean, if you look at trump chicago/toronto, ritz, etc.. the hotel portion is always lower than the final height of the tower, and the height you get with these rooms isn't so spectacular. I know it's just a hotel room, and it makes most sense to have residences priority with the higher view, but they should have some floors dedicated to the executive suites higher up in the building. hotel suite views will never be as breathtaking even at the top floor of the hotel portion compared to being 60 stories above the ground. Ex the Burj Al Arab which (i believe) is full hotel with rooms all the way up... maybe one of the reasons why it's a "7" star hotel.

this is all just me i guess,

Not sure what you mean steveve, you can clearly see the slant already starting with the glass on the lower right hand side of this photo;

2011.01.06%20-%20Shangri-La%20(2).jpg

The angled glass (awesome!):

If you look closely you can even tell that with each floor the angle of concrete edge changes.

The start of the slant is up close and personal right here;

You have to remember too, that the slant is only on one side - the east side. The west side is straight walled.

But still, that says something when a run of the mill condo in Vancouver looks so good, and it takes a 5 star hotel Tower to match the quality of the cladding and surpass it here in Toronto.

At least our buildings don't leak!

But still, that says something when a run of the mill condo in Vancouver looks so good, and it takes a 5 star hotel Tower to match the quality of the cladding and surpass it here in Toronto.

No offense, but "run of the mill" in Vancouver would be the condos you see the background. WPP is considered a high end project.

AoD

Yes, True Enough.

Not only that ... that's not your run of the mill condo ... I can show you many many new condos that match our boring green tinted glass towers.

For the neighborhood - I just love Quay West here in Toronto - I think that must be one of the nicest smaller projects we've seen.

Caltrane, As AoD mentioned West Pender Place is hardly "run of the mill" - back in 2007 when the project originally launched the Price Per Square for was in the $1,100 range with the 90 units in the 36s tower starting at $1.5 million - West Pender Place is a high-end luxury building - by comparison the Shangri La here in Toronto launched at approximately $1,000 per square foot in 2007 (to be fair it's not an apples to apples comparison due to land prices - but West Pender Place is still a very very high end building)

Still though, almost every "Run of the Mill" Condo in Vancouver is very high end. - I guess its just the economics and dynamics of the location that force developers to expend a lot of cash on condos when the price of real estate is through the roof out there.

So I may still be right, even if "run of the mill" was just a poor wording on my part.

Almost every "Run of the Mill" Condo in Vancouver is very high end

Is it though? When I look at various projects in Vancouver, I get the impression that they have better landscaping and urban design qualities (given the planning regime) but don't find such a huge difference in terms of architecture and materials.

BTW thanks for the updates.

AoD

Is it though? When I look at various projects in Vancouver, I get the impression that they have better landscaping and urban design qualities (given the planning regime) but don't find such a huge difference in terms of architecture and materials.

AoD

I agree, it's exactly that which makes Vancouver's urbanscapes look 'better'/'cleaner' than Toronto's. Toronto's sidewalks even in the most important areas and streets (like Bay, King, etc.) look bad for the most part. Asides from the Bloor Street renos in Yorkville, I can't think of any place in the 'old' city of Toronto where sidewalks are nice (Uni Ave is not bad).

I agree, it's exactly that which makes Vancouver's urbanscapes look 'better'/'cleaner' than Toronto's. Toronto's sidewalks even in the most important areas and streets (like Bay, King, etc.) look bad for the most part. Asides from the Bloor Street renos in Yorkville, I can't think of any place in the 'old' city of Toronto where sidewalks are nice (Uni Ave is not bad).

Actually, there are some great sidewalks downtown. The sad reality is, however, that these sidewalks were paid for by the developers or owners of the buildings which are located along them, resulting in a hardly memorable or satisfying patchwork of improvements. You'd be surprised how many 50 metre stretches of granite sidewalk there are in Toronto. There's no coordination in design, though, and it's the city which should take the lead.

Back